mixing brahma colors

chickenhappy1233

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
i recently had a broody sitting on some eggs and they just hatched today:celebrate. the father is a bantam buff brahma, and the mother is a bantam dark brahma. my question is what will these guys look like as adults. i also read somewhere that crossing these colors will produce sex linked offspring, i am not sure if that is true but it would be cool to know. here are some photos of the chickies. so far they basically just look like buff brahma chicks but with a black spot on the heads of some of them and some faint chipmunk stripes.

Edit- if anyone has ever had this cross or a cross similar to this i would love to see photos:D

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
the father is a bantam buff brahma, and the mother is a bantam dark brahma.... i also read somewhere that crossing these colors will produce sex linked offspring, i am not sure if that is true but it would be cool to know.

Yes, the offspring should be gold/silver sexlinks (gold female, silver male).

I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell in the chick down.

When they grow feathers the females should be gold (buff or brown) with black patterning, and the males should be silver (white) with black patterning.

I do not know whether the black patterning will be arranged like it is on the buff, or like it is on the dark, or something different than either.

Yes, the offspring should be gold/silver sexlinks (gold female, silver male).

I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell in the chick down.

When they grow feathers the females should be gold (buff or brown) with black patterning, and the males should be silver (white) with black patterning.

I do not know whether the black patterning will be arranged like it is on the buff, or like it is on the dark, or something different than either.

the chicks are 3 weeks old today. we had 2 unfortunately pass away but the 3 that are left are growing and feathering out well. from what NatJ said they should all be pullets based on color. i have added some photos. all three are heavily penciled buff. one of the chicks that hatched but passed away on the first day was silver so im guessing that he was a cockerel if these are sex linked.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 43

Back
Top Bottom