Mixing Breeds in the Flock

I have a mixed sampler flock of 10 - each bird a different breed and they seem to be very happy together. I have a Barred Rock who is smart and ambitious. I also have a Rhode Island Red who has been just fine, a good layer and not as aggressive as some others, including the Barred Rock. I also have a young son - he was 4 when we got them, now is 5 - and he has been pecked and explored way less than I have, they stay away from him. It's his young explosive energy that they tend to avoid. He has been getting bolder about picking them up occassionally and we've had no bad incidents, chickens are very patient. If I would narrow my 10 breeds down to 3 that I would build a flock on, I'd pick the Red Star (sex link) (amazing layer, sweet social bird) The Black Astrolorp (great layer and sweet bird) and the Barred Rock. I also live in New England. I didn't get a Buff Orpington because I heard they grew very big and went broody often - also a good friend has one and she's quite a bully.

Buffs get fat but not really " big" mine are about the same size as my rir but they are very nice the meanest bird I have is a production rir she also happens to be the smallest one outside my heritage rir and buffs seems so much nicer...

I think the RIR's are the more aggressive of the group.  I would leave them out.  We have Orphingtons, Australorps, and an Asian Blue.

My production RIR's have never been aggressive. I find them very calm and gentle.

X2! My production RIR's are by far my favorite! They enjoy interacting with people and flock mates alike. We have 2 RIR, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 EE's (hen & roo), 1 white Leghorn, 1 white Japanese bantam, 1 Buff Orp., 2 mixed pullets and 1 mixed cock. They all get along well together.

we are new to chickens too! We have 1 Buff, 1 Delaware, and 1 Ameraucana! So far so good! the only thing is that the Delaware has become the queen! she is the biggest out of the 3 so maybe that s why. she kinda chases them off when she feels like it. That is about it! have fun! We are in this together!! lol

I've had a mixed breed flock for 3 yrs and no problems. I love my Buff Orpingtons. The Barred Rocks are noisy. Araucana/Americanas are a little smaller & skittish - not very people friendly but lay beautiful eggs of varying shades of blue & green. My Buff Brahmas & Speckled Sussex succumbed to the TX heat this summer. I recently added more Buff Orpingtons & Cuckoo Marans to the older flock and have 6 wk old Red Stars, Welsummers & (more) Araucana/Americanas waiting to join in when they get a bit larger. Oh and 1 mystery chick which I think may be a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Not only do the various breeds all get along together, my 6 cats don't bother them & even go inside the coop to lay on the roost during the day while the birds are free-ranging the yard.

I have golden comets barred rocks silver laced Wyandottes copper maran amaricana couple Easter eggers couple Oliver eggers so far my comet barred from is and Wyandottes that I got together still stick together they all get along but they do except new chickens but the chicks are excepted Easter it took them a while to adjust to my rooster whom is a blue copper maran! I think it all depends

I have golden comets barred rocks silver laced Wyandottes copper maran amaricana couple Easter eggers couple Oliver eggers so far my comet barred from is and Wyandottes that I got together still stick together they all get along but they do except new chickens but the chicks are excepted Easter it took them a while to adjust to my rooster whom is a blue copper maran! I think it all depends

Some breeds are more aggressive then others or meaner

Back
Top Bottom