Mixing Breeds in the Flock

My barred rocks golden comets silver laced Wyandotte's I have since then gotten amaricanas Marans and olive eggers

Last edited:
Im starting to grow my own meat
Lol I'm getting hogs the spring turkey also and meat chickens as well as can and grow a
Massive garden because this world has went to piece and I'm not going to be hungry nor will my family! Is anyone else doing this!

Im starting to grow my own meat
Lol I'm getting hogs the spring turkey also and meat chickens as well as can and grow a
Massive garden because this world has went to piece and I'm not going to be hungry nor will my family! Is anyone else doing this!

I did it this last spring/ summer but most people here refused to help and refused to eat the food or eggs and no one wanted to cull any chickens so we sold all the extra chickens and I'm thinking about converting the 100 by 30 garden into coops

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I'm starting my first small backyard flock soon and need some advice! I have narrowed it down to 4 breeds and can't make up my mind on which ones to get. I am settled on getting 6 (to start) and would like to mix breeds if it's possible. Either 2 breeds (3 of each) or 3 breeds (2 of each). Or should I stick to one breed for my first time? I live in New England and need hardy birds. I also have small children.

I am looking at the Black Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and the Buff Orpingtons.

Would these breeds do well together? Thank you in advance!!!

I think the RIR's are the more aggressive of the group. I would leave them out. We have Orphingtons, Australorps, and an Asian Blue.

I think you both are talking about different breeds... Heritage rir are really nice production rir are not nice or atleast rarely

The unfortunate thing is though the hatcheries don't usually distinguish and just call them all RIR so even if they are different enough to be a separate breed, they won't be called it. It's like the show line versus working line dogs. Some breeds there isn't too much of a split yet but some of the Labs (Labrador Retrievers) and spaniels, especially Cocker and Springer, may as well be totally different breeds. GSDs there are many many lines and personalities but they all generally look similar, some of the spaniels look totally different. Same.for birds too probably and they don't distinguish

Hatcheries distinguish between New Hampshire and Rhode Island Red though they are practically identical in hatchery stock. I lump those into Production Reds. Standard bred birds are far different than hatchery stock in every regard excepting a general description.

When I had production reds I found them to be super human friendly but the hardest on low pecking order birds and relentless on new introductions. The were the least tolerant of the house cats and would chase them off. A very good bird but needs to be with other birds with same self sustaining, stand tall demeanor. Liked to be held by kids and were under foot if working in garden helping snatch bugs and worms. A great bird but not for me with new pullets coming in each year that were of a more easy going demeanor.

Back
Top Bottom