1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mixing breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheOLDNewChick, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Hi, I was wondering about mixing two-three different breeds in the same coop/yard? If they're raised from bitties together would they do okay? Such as the Rhode Island Reds, Bantams, and Dominickers[sp?]?

2. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Yes, lots of folks here have all sorts together in the same pen. The only time it seems to be a problem is if you have a bantam hen and a standard roo--when he tries to mate her, she will have a hard time of it. But, I know a few people who keep bantams mixed in with standards, and the pecking order seems to be a matter of attitude rather than size.

3. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I thought it would be okay too, I just thought I'd check & make sure and not awake one morning to find a yardfull of dead chicken's. :eek:

4. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I have a mix and they are fine. I can say that my RIR and the sexlinks are the top birds though. They even boos the roo's for now. [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Most of the time it's fine. I wouldn't mix really docile breeds with really aggressive breeds. If you do, keep an eye on them, even if they were raised together.

When I first got chickens, my two Dorking pullets died from injuries they received from what I purchased as Araucanas. Apparently they were mixed and half B%&!#@. I pulled the Dorkings immediately and treated with antibiotics, but it didn't matter. They still died.

These birds were raised together as chicks. They had over 5 square feet per chicken in the coop and free ranged over several acres during the day. The attack happened after they were full size, although I don't remember the exact age.

I know it doesn't happen often, but there's a reason that mixed flock aggression is mentioned in books on chickens as a possibility. I think it's fantastic that so many people here have had no problem at all. I wish that had been my experience, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by