large Eggs

Ruth1966

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
Hi all,
i went out to my coop this morning and to my surprise one of my hens (Rhode Island Red) laid an Extra Extra large egg. I am wondering if this is a one time thing or do I need to change their diet. They are Purina's Egg Layer Food with oyster shells and is about 16 to 18 % protein?

Thank you again for you help.

I added two pictures as well.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230902_093353_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_20230902_093353_HDR.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail_20230902_093404_HDR 2.jpg
    thumbnail_20230902_093404_HDR 2.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 4
Hen or pullet?

New layers need a little time to settle down. Many new layers will give you double, or occasionally even triple, yolk eggs when they first start to lay. This isn’t a concern. Give it a couple months and she’ll settle down.

Feed sounds fine.

Hen or pullet?

New layers need a little time to settle down. Many new layers will give you double, or occasionally even triple, yolk eggs when they first start to lay. This isn’t a concern. Give it a couple months and she’ll settle down.

Feed sounds fine.
She is 23 weeks or so and I guess that means pullet. Our flock has already given us double and triple yolk eggs. I will give it more time. I was just worried that there was something wrong with her.
Thank you , you made me feel better.

She is 23 weeks or so and I guess that means pullet. Our flock has already given us double and triple yolk eggs. I will give it more time. I was just worried that there was something wrong with her.
Thank you , you made me feel better.
Yup. Give her a little time. Sounds like par for the course.

What would happen if you tried hatching an egg that would’ve vent double or triple yolk? Would there be 2 babies or extra chick food. And would the roomier egg be a plus or negative for the chick

What would happen if you tried hatching an egg that would’ve vent double or triple yolk? Would there be 2 babies or extra chick food. And would the roomier egg be a plus or negative for the chick
My understanding is that typically they won’t hatch. The two embryos starve each other out.

Though I think there have been a couple threads on here where double yolkers have produced twins. Or, one of the two chicks survived.

I'm still getting giant eggs sometimes and mine are around 23 weeks old too. Almost always double yolkers, too. I weigh mine, and the largest was just over 80 grams, a big Jumbo size egg. Must've hurt!

My 8 month old Comet has been laying huge eggs too. I hate it for her but nothing I can do. I know that has to be hard on her system.

Attachments

• 20230923_082719.jpg
    20230923_082719.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 2
I, too have a Large Egg situation...
A couple of my girls have recently been laying enormous eggs. The hens are at least 1 year old, possibly three years old, depending on which ones are responsible. They are either Black Aussies or RIRs.
At first, there was an occasional giant egg. Then it got to be nearly daily. Then a second hen started laying giant eggs. And that has become nearly daily.
Normal eggs for the flock are a bit more than 2" long. These eggs are at least a half inch longer. They are about normal in circumference, roughly 5.5".
The yolks are Not doubled. However, the whites are a bit watery.
We've had the flock on 22% protein feed since the crazy protein decrease in commercial feed back last fall. They free range and get a bit of scratch once a day. They have free choice oyster shells.
I sell eggs but I'm not selling these giant eggs. They don't seem normal with the regularity and the watery whites.
Does anyone have any suggestion about what is happening?

Back
Top Bottom