Mixing Chicken Breeds?

If my flock is anything to go by, the only thing a silkie rooster "can't" cross with is a rabbit. I haven't seen any "chick-bbits" around here yet but buff orpington, rhode island red, barred rock, easter egger, and of course silkies are all part of his haram. Everything that has hatched has been colored mostly like the momma but they all have feathered feet! He is also a very proud papa who takes good care of his babies.
yippiechickie.gif

I too had a silkie daddy, he fathered 8 chicks, we have 3 of his daughters, 1 mama NH Red, 1 mama Buff Orp (2 chicks) Love the coloring of the chicks, hens now. 1 got the black eyes, blue ears. All got the black feathered feet, and top knot.

Hey I also have a mixed rooster Sussex x, my hens are pure isa browns & Sussex, i have a new girl wich is a sussex x (think australorp) I love looking at the different colours. i am now getting brown hens with the black flecks like a sussex & they seem to be very popular & my roosters seem to go very quickly. Im not sure how to add pics to show you

I am sooo glad I found this post. We are trying to hatch some eggs, expected hatching April 21-23...we have a solid black bantum rooster, mean little sucker, and a barred rock, buff orpington and two americana hens...we weren't sure if mixing them would mean hens wouldn't lay eggs and roos might not be unable fertilize. But it sounds like they will just up being neat looking and still can successfully reproduce. :)

I am sooo glad I found this post. We are trying to hatch some eggs, expected hatching April 21-23...we have a solid black bantum rooster, mean little sucker, and a barred rock, buff orpington and two americana hens...we weren't sure if mixing them would mean hens wouldn't lay eggs and roos might not be unable fertilize. But it sounds like they will just up being neat looking and still can successfully reproduce. :)
I'm not sure why you're breeding a mean rooster? Temperament is inherited......

We didnt know he was mean until recently, and i wasn't aware temper would carry over :( we will have to get a new roo, any suggestions?

I find mutts so interesting..I love the surprise.

I hatched out 3 of my black sumatra eggs, they were fertilized by my barred rock roo.  These chicks are still young but I think they are going to be very interesting looking when they mature.  2 are barred and appear to be roos.  They are starting already to get the long tail like the sumatra roos.  A barred sumatra...neat looking birds!
I'd love to see this barred rock x sumatra chicken sounds neat I had a cross in mind kinda like that

My geat grandpa hatched out some bantams from this mean little roo and so far none of them are mean at all,he first pullet egg was layed about two weeks ago. They are pure silver penciled rock bantams
I'm not sure why you're breeding a mean rooster? Temperament is inherited......

Has anyone had issues with mixing Delaware, Sussex, Rhode Island Reds, and Wyandottes? Those are the breeds that I'm pondering, but I'm new to the chicken game, so I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience mixing those specific breeds.

I'm getting excited to start my flock! I'm in the middle of constructing the coop and planning the location in the yard! Yippeee!!!

Has anyone had issues with mixing Delaware, Sussex, Rhode Island Reds, and Wyandottes? Those are the breeds that I'm pondering, but I'm new to the chicken game, so I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience mixing those specific breeds.

I'm getting excited to start my flock! I'm in the middle of constructing the coop and planning the location in the yard! Yippeee!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I've had all those breeds except the Delaware, and they've done fine. As a rule, all your dual purpose birds are going to get along well enough. The key is to have lots of space for everyone to stay off each other's nerves
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom