Mixing chicks???

After 24 hrs they are truly fine. 2 of the chicks where still kinda damp when I took them out of the hatcher. But those 2 seem to the best integrated of them all. If my judgement is right out of all the ones I hatched I think 1 rooster. Future flock coming up - mix of 2 different barnyard mutt flocks and 2 "Americaunas" (most likely Easter Eggers though. Hoping for some interesting looking chickens in future.

After 24 hrs they are truly fine. 2 of the chicks where still kinda damp when I took them out of the hatcher. But those 2 seem to the best integrated of them all. If my judgement is right out of all the ones I hatched I think 1 rooster. Future flock coming up - mix of 2 different barnyard mutt flocks and 2 "Americaunas" (most likely Easter Eggers though. Hoping for some interesting looking chickens in future.
That's what I have. My two roosters are mutts and my one hen that came from a hatch is a mix of polish and white leghorn. She's the only crested female I have. One rooster is crested and the other is not. I do have six eggs under a broody that should hatch sometime next week, and I have a broody EE that I plan to put a few chicks from the store under when she reaches the end of the broody cycle. That should be next week too.

I have mixed 1 day old RIR chicks with my 2 week EE chicks and added 3 BO chicks also who were 1.5 weeks. They were all fine after the day. Obviously the EE chicks noticed because the brooder was originally theirs, but no issues. Depending on breeding you can mix up to 3 weeks old.

Always watch them. My EEs liked the poor little RIRs red spot on their beak so they pecked a few times. Whenever they did I whistled and they stopped after 3 pecks. No injuries and nothing crazy. Just curious chicks. I also stuck a mirror in with them later which is a great distraction from the new chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom