Mixing my rc RIR with my single comb hatchery RIR's?

4HMomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Nebraska
We expiriment with our layers quite a bit. We have a really nice rc RIR roo and a bunch of hatchery RIR hens, if we cross them is that like blasphemy or would I possibly improve my layers to include a bit more size and color? What about the comb? Currently the ladies are in with 5 roos of various different breeds, but if I take those gentlemen out for a couple weeks would I be fairly confident that the eggs would be his babies? How long would I need to wait before incubating some to ensure he was the offending gent? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, thanks!

Well the offspring would/ should have rose combs if your rose comb rooster is pure for rose comb.
I believe that the type/ size / color of the offspring should improve some but I wouldn't plane on much the first year.
You will have to separate the hens from the other rooster for 3 to 4 weeks before you start incubating eggs.

Chris

Pull your other roos right away, try adding the RC in 3 weeks, if he is fertile his fresher sperm should push any old of the others out. And you should be able to tell by the chicks if any are sired by the others.

You should start getting some RCs, and some vigor from the outcross, after a couple years you should be seeing improvement, get a new RC heritage roo next year for this years pullets Dont keep back any of the roos.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to work with what we have, but in the mean time while we are waiting on adding the good roo, I put some more light on our rc hen trying to stimulate her to lay. If she would just lay it would solve numerous problems. Anyone know if with frostbit toes (he's missing the first part of 3 of his toes from a previous owner's frostbite experience) he would have troubles in showing at 4h beyond showmanship, right?

Back
Top Bottom