MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I think that she is passive because of how she was raised and the times in which she is raised. It seems to me the only thing she takes any pleasure in are her children and she doesn't seem to have any inclination to truly learn and know anyone else, so in her private thoughts, she does not have to be gracious towards them!
It's very telling isn't it. Writing Helen like this must've been enlightening for the men who've read the novel and thought about VW's social context.

It's very telling isn't it. Writing Helen like this must've been enlightening for the men who've read the novel and thought about VW's social context.
I think you've hit on one of the main themes of this novel. The complete & tragic waste of female potential due to paternalism & social conventions. Women of a certain class were supposed to marry well & do nothing. It is not a healthy state.

I think that she is passive because of how she was raised and the times in which she is raised. It seems to me the only thing she takes any pleasure in are her children and she doesn't seem to have any inclination to truly learn and know anyone else, so in her private thoughts, she does not have to be gracious towards them!
See how clever Woolfe is! Everyone is picking up on Helen's inner world because her actions are socially conventional & can't be called into question but her inner self is betrayed to the reader. Woolfe also manages a seamless transition into Rachel's thoughts which I liked very much.

I think you've hit on one of the main themes of this novel. The complete & tragic waste of female potential due to paternalism & social conventions. Women of a certain class were supposed to marry well & do nothing. It is not a healthy state.
Hmmm what will women say in 100 years from now about our times? :gig

It's a time of transition that's for sure. Painful for some, delightful for others.

See how clever Woolfe is! Everyone is picking up on Helen's inner world because her actions are socially conventional & can't be called into question but her inner self is betrayed to the reader. Woolfe also manages a seamless transition into Rachel's thoughts which I liked very much.
I had to step away from the computer and just realized that I didn't get to respond to this yet! She is very clever! I'm enjoying this and to be honest, if I had picked this book up and tried to read it on my own, I would have set it back down and not given it another thought! Thank you ladies!

Back
Top Bottom