MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
Did one of you say earlier that this was heavily edited? I am wondering if some of what I am observing might be the result if that or is part of the writing style.
I just finished chapter VI and it has been revealed where they are going (I think that you may have already known that). But the manner in which I learn where they are going is like I would learn if I walked into a room where it happened to be being discussed rather than in a literary or ‘plot’ oriented way. It is as if I was supposed to have known all along.
I think MJ & I were discussing it. The book was originally called Melymbrosia. Scholar , Louise DeSalvo, has pieced together the original novel, which is much franker & more politically damning according to reviews.

I've got myself a bit lost as I think I'm up to chapter 7. I thought the destination was discussed earlier but in this I am probably wrong.

I think MJ & I were discussing it. The book was originally called Melymbrosia. Scholar , Louise DeSalvo, has pieced together the original novel, which is much franker & more politically damning according to reviews.

I've got myself a bit lost as I think I'm up to chapter 7. I thought the destination was discussed earlier but in this I am probably wrong.
Quite possible I missed it. As a re-reader I get into bad habits of skimming sometimes.

Quite possible I missed it. As a re-reader I get into bad habits of skimming sometimes.
I know the word holiday was used, but by the end of chapter four, there's no mention of ultimate destination that I recall. Hmmm now I'm thinking about it, maybe there was something said about where Willoughby's ships go?

Yes. He was interesting ~ but I do like that Mrs Dalloway, falsely or no, is able to express interest in such diverse things as Greek & funny fish in glass jars. That's quite a talent she has there. 😄
I think she's genuinely interested in the world and she outsmarts her husband (reading him to sleep - did VW consider Persuasion a bit of a snoozer?) while preserving his dignity. She's socially adept but doesn't actually like people.

But the manner in which I learn where they are going is like I would learn if I walked into a room where it happened to be being discussed rather than in a literary or ‘plot’ oriented way. It is as if I was supposed to have known all along.
Rather like real life. This was all discussed between them before the book started.

I know the word holiday was used, but by the end of chapter four, there's no mention of ultimate destination that I recall. Hmmm now I'm thinking about it, maybe there was something said about where Willoughby's ships go?
Yes, in Chap 3
" ... she was primarily a cargo boat... her business being to carry dry goods to the Amazons, and rubber home again."

Rather a broad area, not a specific port.

Back
Top Bottom