MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I haven't read Plath. I read LOTF when I was too young I think.
The older I get the more I wonder why I studied literature, given how much I hate a lot of the classic writers. But then I was reading Shakespeare for pleasure as a child... 🤔 I think if I had it to do over again I would opt for forensic archaeology. ~ which I'm probably not qualified to study, lacking an essentially scientific brain. 😆

The older I get the more I wonder why I studied literature, given how much I hate a lot of the classic writers. But then I was reading Shakespeare for pleasure as a child... 🤔 I think if I had it to do over again I would opt for forensic archaeology. ~ which I'm probably not qualified to study, lacking an essentially scientific brain. 😆
I don't think you would have a problem with anything you decided to tackle!!! 💗

I've always loved to read, but it was for my pleasure and enjoyment! Like I always tell my husband..."girls just want to have fun"! Yep, that's me in a nutshell...:gig

I got pulled into work so am still in Chapter 2 - will get some in tonight before going to bed. I am immersing myself slowly so a bit early for me to have views - it sort of interrupts my immersion to react too soon. I have found curious so far how little attention is being paid to the purpose of the journey. No sense of adventure, hope, foreboding. No sense of anything really. The only thing is Helen not wanting to leave her kids but even that begs the question of why do so. I am sure all will be revealed!
And this is exactly why reading with detail oriented people helps me. :lau I never even thought to ask this very obvious question!

I can handle pretty much anything! So, I'm in this for the long haul! What I shared is just what stood out to me the most! I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters develop and deal with each other in what is basically a confined space! I'm also truly enjoying what you all are sharing. Like I said this is a new experience for me and I'm enjoying the experience of sharing and learning from all of you!
The essential ingredients for a murder mystery! 🤣

I got pulled into work so am still in Chapter 2 - will get some in tonight before going to bed. I am immersing myself slowly so a bit early for me to have views - it sort of interrupts my immersion to react too soon. I have found curious so far how little attention is being paid to the purpose of the journey. No sense of adventure, hope, foreboding. No sense of anything really. The only thing is Helen not wanting to leave her kids but even that begs the question of why do so. I am sure all will be revealed!
You're right. Being a bit Aspergery myself I like to know where I'm going and plan ahead of time. It makes me uncomfortably itchy not to know the reason for the voyage or the destination. 😖

ACM: are you able to reference this? I don't recall reading this so now I'm concerned I've missed something important. It's the worst of reading fast.
I think I may have Jumped to the wrong conclusion. When Rachel's father is introduced near the end of Chap one it is :
"a tall burly man entered the room, came forward and shook Helen's hand with an emotional kind of heartiness, Willoughby himself, Rachel's father, Helen's brother-in-law."

I took this to mean that he was Mr Ambrose' brother but I think that Mrs Ambrose and Rachel's mother were sisters.

VW keeps switching between names too and the given names of the men sound like family names which I find a bit confusing.

Cast of Characters from the web

Helen Ambrose​

Helen is introduced at the beginning of the novel, and departs London for South America alongside her husband Ridley Ambrose, leaving behind her two children. She laments the fact she is leaving her children, feeling "misery for her children" as she prepares to leave.

Ridley Ambrose​

Helen Ambrose's husband, who is accompanying her on a trip [ISPOILERto a resort in South America.][/ISPOILER]

Willoughby Vinrace​

Helen's brother-in-law, who owns the ship Euphrosyne, which takes Helen and Ridley to South America.

Rachel Vinrace​

Rachel is Willoughby Vinrace's daughter, and therefore her family owns the ship Euphrosyne. She is described as having a talent for playing piano but is also thought of as being boring and bland by Helen.

[SPOILER="Other characters not yet mentioned"

St. John Hirst​

St. John Hirst is a neighbor of Helen and Ridley Ambrose while they are staying in South America. He is an Oxford scholar and judges Rachel as being unintelligent.

Terrence Hewet​

Hewet is a novelist and is also a neighbor of Helen and Ridley. He has a special relationship with Rachel, understanding her on an emotional level and helping her to overcome the judgment of other characters.
]
[/SPOILER]

Interestingly this site did not mention Mrs Chailey, the family servant or Mrs Theresa Vinrace, Rachael's mother either.

I think I may have Jumped to the wrong conclusion. When Rachel's father is introduced near the end of Chap one it is :
"a tall burly man entered the room, came forward and shook Helen's hand with an emotional kind of heartiness, Willoughby himself, Rachel's father, Helen's brother-in-law."

I took this to mean that he was Mr Ambrose' brother but I think that Mrs Ambrose and Rachel's mother were sisters.

VW keeps switching between names too and the given names of the men sound like family names which I find a bit confusing.

Cast of Characters from the web

Helen Ambrose​

Helen is introduced at the beginning of the novel, and departs London for South America alongside her husband Ridley Ambrose, leaving behind her two children. She laments the fact she is leaving her children, feeling "misery for her children" as she prepares to leave.

Ridley Ambrose​

Helen Ambrose's husband, who is accompanying her on a trip [ISPOILERto a resort in South America.][/ISPOILER]

Willoughby Vinrace​

Helen's brother-in-law, who owns the ship Euphrosyne, which takes Helen and Ridley to South America.

Rachel Vinrace​

Rachel is Willoughby Vinrace's daughter, and therefore her family owns the ship Euphrosyne. She is described as having a talent for playing piano but is also thought of as being boring and bland by Helen.

[SPOILER="Other characters not yet mentioned"

St. John Hirst​

St. John Hirst is a neighbor of Helen and Ridley Ambrose while they are staying in South America. He is an Oxford scholar and judges Rachel as being unintelligent.

Terrence Hewet​

Hewet is a novelist and is also a neighbor of Helen and Ridley. He has a special relationship with Rachel, understanding her on an emotional level and helping her to overcome the judgment of other characters.
]
[/SPOILER]

Interestingly this site did not mention Mrs Chailey, the family servant or Mrs Theresa Vinrace, Rachael's mother either.
Thank you. This was my understanding but as I can be a careless reader I wanted to be sure I had understood correctly & not missed something.

Yes, the names changes is annoying as well as confusing. Hoping it will be easier as we get to know the characters better.

Back
Top Bottom