MJ's little flock

It's a wonderful hobby. I've had uncountable hours of joy working with the hens.

Do you have any photos of your pullets?
These pics are from 3 weeks ago when they first arrived. I plan on taking new ones next week.

Attachments

• 271EF070-6364-4C81-AB54-69F9BC5C9D96.jpeg
    271EF070-6364-4C81-AB54-69F9BC5C9D96.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 8B937529-6FAE-46BF-9A1F-E86177DFC30F.jpeg
    8B937529-6FAE-46BF-9A1F-E86177DFC30F.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 1
  • E7E9F0B6-E88E-4195-92A5-96BDB500B795.jpeg
    E7E9F0B6-E88E-4195-92A5-96BDB500B795.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3B0F1256-E47B-445E-8E1C-C6053BB10991.jpeg
    3B0F1256-E47B-445E-8E1C-C6053BB10991.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 1
I probably used the term pullets improperly which misled you… I should have said chicks.
I enjoy watching my little group
I think people do use the words pullets and cockerels for chicks, but I'm not used to it. I live in Australia where when people say pullet they usually mean 12 weeks up to the point of lay.

It died Shad. I believe Peggy trod on it.

Ivy sits on the one remaining fertile egg solo. It's due to hatch tomorrow.
We may never know for sure, but it seems odd Peggy could manage not to stand on an egg for 3 weeks and then accidentally crush the little baby.
You were there so I am not questioning your diagnosis. I am just puzzled. Maybe she didn’t like it? Didn’t Shad have a hen that killed her chicks once?

We may never know for sure, but it seems odd Peggy could manage not to stand on an egg for 3 weeks and then accidentally crush the little baby.
You were there so I am not questioning your diagnosis. I am just puzzled. Maybe she didn’t like it? Didn’t Shad have a hen that killed her chicks once?
Well, from the way the shell had broken and from the way the chick was flattened out, too much pressure had been applied from above.

Whole shells have structural integrity but a half shell is much more fragile. I imagine the chick was half in, half out when it got squashed.

I'd like to think she didn't do it on purpose. She did have a sad and mortified expression, and was checking it and checking it even though (as I learned ten minutes later) it was already gone.

She shoved herself in beside Ivy without due care, I think, and trod on the chick. Or she may pressed down on it too hard, like it was an intact egg.

You know, RC, my thoughts about what happened are really just hypotheses and I am looking forward to the opinions of more experienced people. They may see something in the photo that you and I can't.

Well, from the way the shell had broken and from the way the chick was flattened out, too much pressure had been applied from above.

Whole shells have structural integrity but a half shell is much more fragile. I imagine the chick was half in, half out when it got squashed.

I'd like to think she didn't do it on purpose. She did have a sad and mortified expression, and was checking it and checking it even though (as I learned ten minutes later) it was already gone.

She shoved herself in beside Ivy without due care, I think, and trod on the chick. Or she may pressed down on it too hard, like it was an intact egg.
Poor Peggy, and poor chick. I’m going with the accidental route here.
I hope all goes well tomorrow with Ivy and the lone egg

Back
Top Bottom