MJ's little flock

I can respond to this too because if it wasn't compulosary I wouldn't vote. I think they're all a bunch of crooks & we definitly shouldn't be paying them to perform a public service. That being said, when a section of your people don't, aren't, can't vote it is non~representative government. That's been women & indigenious peoples usually but also the handicapped. Secondly this is one thing the education system is supposed to address. In my case my school actually did. Most people are aware of the issues & are smart voters here. How do I know? This election there was a massive swing away from the 2 major parties & we are looking @ representation from a 3rd party & lots of independents. People voted for the issues that mattered most to them & not along party lines. Thirdly the ballot slips are as simple as they can make them so it's not that hard for most people to vote as they see fit and lastly, if you really object, you donkey vote. Or you can abstain & pay the fine. It is a very fair system & no~one can complain along the lines of I didn't get a say because everyone does get a say, one way or another.

Need to add, the booth workers are paid. Quite well by all accounts. I've known a few people do it for the extra cash.
I have to agree with you Ribh, that Australian politics has become a complete dog’s breakfast, hence the increase in independents and minor parties, IMO. In the past, I’ve voted for a major party that aligned with my values, but this time I felt I needed to put more thought into how I was going to vote, and where my preferences lay, so that’s what I did. Sans sausage. :D

I've come into the port for breakfast. The water is very still and the sun is very warm.

IMG_2022-05-22-09-58-43-070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom