MJ's little flock

The laundry chickens are tidying up my jeans (after kicking bits of straw all over me).

IMG_2022-11-23-18-26-50-799.jpg

Now don't be disappointed byt this morning I let the pullets out to explore and forage while the hens were in the funrun. Then this afternoon I put the pullets in the funrun while the hens (except Mary) were out foraging.

There were no disasters.

But this morning the hens were rather annoyed that the pullets were out and about. Peggy tried pecking Lorna through the wire mesh. Several times.

In the end I gave the hens some lettuce to be excited about and that calmed them down.

Why did I do it?

Several factors were at play in my reasoning.

First. The pullets aren't going to infect anyone. Why? They hatched in an incubator, then lived exclusively with other chicks. No adults. So it's unlikely they'd have caught anything before leaving the breeder and the only other pullets at the fodder store were in the same batch from that breeder. Also Mark said they were healthy.

Second. The laundry chickens do not have a nice life in the laundry. Expediting their move to the sleepout, even a little, is a good thing.

Third. The pullets and hens can have four full days of looking without touching before I go to Sydney. That's a head start on integration.

Fourth. It's important the pullets learn about the garden and funrun without having to deal with the older hens.

So, there are four days of opportunities for the pullets to learn where everything is while learning about the big hens too.

That's a head start. Once I'm back again, the pullets will have a day to refresh their memories then they'll be in with the hens (and any chicks).

Hopefully it will cut a few days from the time the river chickens have to live in the laundry.

Why did I do it?

First. The pullets aren't going to infect anyone. Why? They hatched in an incubator, then lived exclusively with other chicks. No adults. So it's unlikely they'd have caught anything before leaving the breeder and the only other pullets at the fodder store were in the same batch from that breeder. Also Mark said they were healthy.

Second. The laundry chickens do not have a nice life in the laundry. Expediting their move to the sleepout, even a little, is a good thing.

Third. The pullets and hens can have four full days of looking without touching before I go to Sydney. That's a head start on integration.

Fourth. It's important the pullets learn about the garden and funrun without having to deal with the older hens.

So, there are four days of opportunities for the pullets to learn where everything is while learning about the big hens too.

That's a head start. Once I'm back again, the pullets will have a day to refresh their memories then they'll be in with the hens (and any chicks).

Hopefully it will cut a few days from the time the river chickens have to live in the laundry.
You’ve done your due diligence. :thumbsup

Why did I do it?

Oh dear. You have been very thorough but have forgotten something really important.

WE NEED PICTURES!!!

Last edited:
Now don't be disappointed byt this morning I let the pullets out to explore and forage while the hens were in the funrun. Then this afternoon I put the pullets in the funrun while the hens (except Mary) were out foraging.

There were no disasters.

But this morning the hens were rather annoyed that the pullets were out and about. Peggy tried pecking Lorna through the wire mesh. Several times.

In the end I gave the hens some lettuce to be excited about and that calmed them down.
So it begins.........

Good luck. 🤞

Back
Top Bottom