MJ's little flock

Delightful happenstance

Ivy has been preening her nether regions and has given herself what looks like a dab of lippy! Not sure how clear it is in this photo because I'm doing this post in bright sunlight and she took a drink after the preening, but here 'tis nonetheless.

Screenshot_2020-01-24-08-06-31-96.png

They look lovely MJ. If it helps any, the bantams here have a better survival rate then the cross breeds and Marans. They are generally faster and more predator aware.
A family of magpies live nearby and are very playful.

A minute ago, they went wheeling through the sky, calling out to one another and startling all the little wild birds, who did their alarm calls and ran for cover. I could almost make out the maggies' laughter!

Anyway, as the wildbirds alarmed one another, the pullets did a fantastic job of ducking and running for cover! Whereas the big hens didn't even lift their heads.

They're still hiding in the back corner of the henhouse :)

A couple of retrospective snaps

The pullets in their travel boxes in the car on their way home.

I put them in cat travel boxes for optimum safety. Unlike Sandy, who can be trusted, and Janet, who can be trusted to an extent, I had no idea what these scamps might've got up to had they been given the chance.

IMG20200121133440.jpg

IMG20200121133432.jpg

Day 3 report

The hens were very calm all day. Only one alarm was heard and that was first thing in the morning from Mary.

Lots of eating, drinking, dust bathing, and snoozing. Mary laid an egg.

Ivy's tail feathers were still purple this morning and not bleeding. Mind you, I was up and opened the roosting box door at 6, so Peggy hadn't a chance to become bored.

Same as yesterday, once the hens were in the yard, I caught Ivy for a tail spray and herded the pullets into the henhouse. They had a lovely day.

Until 4pm.

That's when I switched the hens and the pullets.

Ivy didn't mind in the slightest. The moment she felt the sun on her back she went weak in the legs and laid out her wings. When she'd had enough of that she went exploring.

Peggy thought there had been some terrible mistake made. Why were the big hens in her henhouse?! She demanded an explanation from Janet and Mary, neither of whom said anything reassuring.

At this point Sandy was rather worried too.

Screenshot_2020-01-24-17-31-32-47.png

This ruckus continued until Peggy found the water dispenser.

IMG20200124170052.jpg

Then she calmed right down. Poor thing must've been thirsty. Why she didn't think to use the water dispenser in the little coop will remain a mystery.

Sandy was still anxious so I thought lerhaps I'd better intervene with some tasty treats. So I made two plates of mash for the big hens and one for the pullets.

Problem solved.

Everyone tucked in and was happy.

IMG20200124171129.jpg

At this moment, Mary is muttering about the change in routine but there are two delighted little pullets investgating the yard in the vicinity of the woodshed :)

Once the pullets turn in, I'll get ahold of Ivy and spray her tail again, but otherwise my chicken chores are done for the day.

She can't help herself, it's like a reflex. But she is not impressed by the cetrigen.

If she adapts to overcome her dislike of the cetrigen, I'll have to separate them.
I hope so.

If you have any further ideas to support Peggy in her lessons, please share them with me.

I'll be home all day today, so I may put the hens in their house and give the pullets some supervised yard time.

Have you thought of redirecting her pecking to something else? Perhaps hang a corncob in the small coop?

Back
Top Bottom