MJ's little flock

Speaking of Ivy's hatch, I think she's going to have 8 eggs, mainly because I like variety. 2 cream legbar, 2 black (or blue) copper marans, 2 pyle brahma, and 2 welsummer.

I also rather like the buff laced Polish and the chocolate bantam Australorps 🤔

I realise this is going to earn me some negativity, but noisy cockerels will be humanely put to sleep by the vet. Where I live, it's highly unlikely anyone would want a cockerel for something other than food, and that could cause the boys a nasty death if the people don't know what they're doing.

Speaking of Ivy's hatch, I think she's going to have 8 eggs, mainly because I like variety. 2 cream legbar, 2 black (or blue) copper marans, 2 pyle brahma, and 2 welsummer.
That is a lot of eggs !
How many chicks would you like to keep so that they become adults, ideally?
I also rather like the buff laced Polish and the chocolate bantam Australorps 🤔
I love the bantam Australorps and I would definitely get them if I lived in the place where they come from. But Australia is so big that I suppose it doesn't say much to say they are Australian chickens !
Would you by any chance know where the Australorps breed began ?
I realise this is going to earn me some negativity, but noisy cockerels will be humanely put to sleep by the vet. Where I live, it's highly unlikely anyone would want a cockerel for something other than food, and that could cause the boys a nasty death if the people don't know what they're doing.
I may not like this choice but you won't get negativity from me. You always said it was the way you would handle males and it's carefully thought out, like Shadrach's choice with Dig. There doesn't seem to be many different options if you really want to let one of your hens hatch.

Would you by any chance know where the Australorps breed began ?
I don't know the geographic details but they're a mix of Langshan and Orpington. To my mind, they're genuinely gorgeous chickens.

IMG_2024-05-01-17-21-51-183.jpg

There doesn't seem to be many different options if you really want to let one of your hens hatch.
It took a long time for me to come to terms with culling cockerels. The vet helped when he pointed out their lives would be short but much happier than many, many other cockerels and they don't live worrying about the end like humans can.

Back
Top Bottom