MJ's little flock

Wow, and I thought $50-&100 per chook was a lot!
Me too!

Janet the Barnevelder was a very good deal at $50aud.

For what it's worth @Shadrach, Janet is the only one I can handle, although Ivy is not too bad and may end up tamer then Janet. She reliably lays 3-4 generous size eggs a week.

She's also very robust and rarely gives me cauae for concern.

She's smart too and understands my role in keeping them safe. She'll do as I direct when unexpected things happen, whereas the other three are more susceptible to panic.

Afterthought: and she's never been broody.

It will be really good for this guy I think.
He had terrible problems adjusting to the loss of his leg. What made matters worse is it was a friendly fire incident and there was no proper inquiry.
With a bit of encouragement on my part he's settled on Barnvelders. He's starting with a rooster and three hens. He has enough room to free range. There is a breeder in Norfolk UK who has an excellent reputation who will sell him adults at £200 each. That is reasonable for good quality adult chickens of this breed.
I hope he finds the same joy in his that we have found in ours. Animals are great therapy.

Perhaps he will join us here one day.

They will go broody apparently.
How many have you got gone broody Ribh?
I've got five atm. I'm letting them sit for a few days to switch off the egg laying cycle.
I collected 32 eggs today.:he
This is what I've got left after giving some to the main house.
View attachment 2080652
That is a pretty good haul. Good days work by the ladies!

That's awesome. A chance to spread the happiness.

My boss who has always dismissed chicken keeping as strange was asking all kinds of questions about them on Monday as his wife wants to get some now. Makes you smile. :)
I went to the fodder store yesterday and one man bought four pullets.

It was quite funny because he looked at me like he'd bought the last roll of toilet paper, a little nasty and very smug.

I should've told him I've had chickens in my backyard since before coronavirus :)

That saves a lot of typing then.:p
So, the next stage was. "I say, you're Bolshevik brother is an awfully handy chap. Do you think we could get him out here to take care of the place."
Yes, I admit it. I am related to one of them.View attachment 2080852
So sorry, Shad. One can't choose one's rellies.😝

Me too!

Janet the Barnevelder was a very good deal at $50aud.

For what it's worth @Shadrach, Janet is the only one I can handle, although Ivy is not too bad and may end up tamer then Janet. She reliably lays 3-4 generous size eggs a week.

She's also very robust and rarely gives me cauae for concern.

She's smart too and understands my role in keeping them safe. She'll do as I direct when unexpected things happen, whereas the other three are more susceptible to panic.

Afterthought: and she's never been broody.
Sounds like an excellent hen! :thumbsup

They will go broody apparently.
How many have you got gone broody Ribh?
I've got five atm. I'm letting them sit for a few days to switch off the egg laying cycle.
I collected 32 eggs today.:he
This is what I've got left after giving some to the main house.
View attachment 2080652
I’ll take some Shad! None of my girls are laying at the moment.
Alice must have lost at least 75% of her feathers by now. The poor thing is shivering in the cold mornings here. I have provided her with a hot water bottle but she doesn’t want to leave her flock mates 😟

Back
Top Bottom