MJ's little flock

NO! If she's not doing it herself you need to get her going. I was away but I had a chook trance herself to death. Do not let her do this! Make sure she's off that nest @ least once a day. I'd actually break her I think, @ this point ~ unless you are considering fertile Legbar eggs...?
Right. Thanks mate. I forgotten about that broody you lost! I'll continue getting her off the nest every day. I'll ramp it up to twice a day to make sure she's eating enough.

Just a word about that. I was chatting with my breeder about the whole broody thing because the BRs were driving me nuts that 1st year & she said each time you get them off the nest & allow them back on they reset their broody clock so it can actually go much longer. Someone may like to correct me on that because I haven't ever gone that way again.

I'll think about putting her on the roost at night too. That was enough to discourage Peggy and Mary but they weren't as determined as Ivy.
And again, my really stubborn ones just wait till I leave the coop then head straight back into a nesting box. Mhari I was moving 5 or 6 times before she would roost. I hope Ivy's not that stubborn!

And again, my really stubborn ones just wait till I leave the coop then head straight back into a nesting box. Mhari I was moving 5 or 6 times before she would roost. I hope Ivy's not that stubborn!
Well at least she can't do that because the nest is in the little coop and the roost is in the henhouse.

We got to dinber time yesterday and again Ivy had not left the nest. So I lifted her down again. There were no eggs under her. Here's a photo of her still in her trance. A few minutes later she'd woken up and gone to eat and drink.

It's not good that she doesn't feed, water and bathe herself.

Should I leave her be to encourage her to be attentive to her hunger and thirst? View attachment 2344352

View attachment 2344352
Just keep taking her off the nest once a day and she will be OK for a while. If she stays at it you might need to crate her to break her before she loses to much weight. Keep an eye on her. Make sure she gets off the nest at least once a day.

NO! If she's not doing it herself you need to get her going. I was away but I had a chook trance herself to death. Do not let her do this! Make sure she's off that nest @ least once a day. I'd actually break her I think, @ this point ~ unless you are considering fertile Legbar eggs...?
That feels like a shot at me. Was that a shot at me? 😲

Just a word about that. I was chatting with my breeder about the whole broody thing because the BRs were driving me nuts that 1st year & she said each time you get them off the nest & allow them back on they reset their broody clock so it can actually go much longer. Someone may like to correct me on that because I haven't ever gone that way again.
They will want to sit 21 days on average. I bet you either have to ride out the 21 days with Ivy or crate her.

That feels like a shot at me. Was that a shot at me? 😲
No. As I said, I lost a hen. Im paranoid about them getting off the nest. Oh, & MJ was talking about Legbars last year. She had a breeder & chicks lined up to go. I thought she might like to try again with eggs...

No. As I said, I lost a hen. Im paranoid about them getting off the nest. Oh, & MJ was talking about Legbars last year. She had a breeder & chicks lined up to go. I thought she might like to try again with eggs...
Sorry. I'm hypersensitive today. 😳

Back
Top Bottom