MJ's little flock

That looks like a shrew.
Common shrew:
1607248292141.png

Oh yes they are adorable. I think some people keep them as pets. We have our equivalent here - they are smaller and called flying squirrels. They are the cutest things but sometimes end up in the house which is challenging for all concerned!
I was once woken up at 2am by screaming and it was a flying squirrel up on its haunches and punching one of the cats on the nose and screaming while it did so.

Oh yes they are adorable. I think some people keep them as pets. We have our equivalent here - they are smaller and called flying squirrels. They are the cutest things but sometimes end up in the house which is challenging for all concerned!
I was once woken up at 2am by screaming and it was a flying squirrel up on its haunches and punching one of the cats on the nose and screaming while it did so.
Poor cat must've terrified! And the squirrel.

Oh the mental image! :lau

I trust they were both OK after?

Oh the mental image! :lau
I trust they were both OK after?

Poor cat must've terrified! And the squirrel.

Oh yes all three of us survived the ordeal.
I was sleep-deprived, had muscle aches from laughing so much, and a bruised thumb (on which more below).
The cat was severely embarrassed at being bested by a tiny cute Disney-cartoon character and spent the rest of the day pretending she had been elsewhere all along and it must have been some other cat, but certainly not her!
As for the squirrel, I managed to grab the squirrel by the scruff of its neck. What did I know? That is what you do with cats! Turns out they fly by gliding and have loose skin to use as glider wings (you can see the folds of loose skin in the picture of your sugar glider). That means if you grab them by the scruff of the neck they can simply turn right around inside their skin. Which is exactly what it did, and sank its teeth into my thumb. Fortunately I had the foresight to put on leather work gloves which I keep in the house for removing dead mice. So I put the flying squirrel still attached to my glove outside in the bushes and it was gone when I checked later in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom