MJ's little flock

Lovely thanks @Grammy60 ! I've been for my weekly beach walk with my neighbour, I've been making a better roost for the pullets, and the washing machine and dishwasher are chugging away. When I want to be still, I go outside and watch the pullets :)

How about you? How was your day?

Stunning new girls!! I love the penciling on Ivy, I can't wait to see that come in more as an adult. Peggy's gold necklace is lovely! She's always ready for a night on the town in her little black dress and gold necklace!! LOL :lau

As for the black combs, you won't notice a color change, but they may get a little bigger. It's kind of a guessing game until they lay. I'm very curious as to what color eggs they will lay.
That's really helpful, thanks CCCL :)

Have I inadvertently brought bantams home?

Yes, I believe that may be the case 🤦‍♀️ but Ivy is large for a bantam and she might keep growing :fl Maybe Peggy will grow more too.

They blinked at me! And I couldn't resist.

In 2022, the first words out of my mouth when I go to a fodder store will be, "I'd rather not have bantams because there are hawks in the neighbourhood." It's got to be my first priority.

Have I inadvertently brought bantams home?

Yes, I believe that may be the case 🤦‍♀️ but Ivy is large for a bantam and she might keep growing :fl Maybe Peggy will grow more too.

They blinked at me! And I couldn't resist.

In 2022, the first words out of my mouth when I go to a fodder store will be, "I'd rather not have bantams because there are hawks in the neighbourhood." It's got to be my first priority.
Some bantams are quite large. My Australorp bantam was pretty much a small standard size but Lottie is really, really tiny.

Day 1 report

The pullets ate, slept, pooped, ate, drank, preened, ate, slept, took dust baths, ate some more, repeat. Then repeat some more :)

Most of the eating was proper food, only a little bit was feathers. Nice, healthy little poops.

Until today, I thought their tails hadn't yet grown in but now I know their tails have been plucked. I saw Peggy plucking Ivy's tail.

I'm hoping a plentiful balanced diet will put a stop to it.

But in case that doesn't work, if something comes to mind, I'd appreciate advice.

Update: I've been watching the pullets off and on all day and I haven't seen feather plucking and eating since this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to make an even better report tomorrow.

Now, if the hens were writing this message it would go like this:

plz Send heLp. Intrloprs! TAll, Featherless roostr Hopeless. No enough foood 4 alL us now. Plzzzz we neeed cwowdfundr?? Mebbbe.

However, I think they've had a quite good day out in the yard, doing their chickeny business.

One setback is that Mary and Janet have reverted to blaming Sandy for everything that's gone wrong. She's been chased away from food and mildly ostracised from group activities. So I'm sitting in the yard at present, which makes them behave. Maybe they feel reassured. Sandy and Janet are snoozing side by side while Mary keeps watch.

IMG20200122171648.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1 report

The pullets ate, slept, pooped, ate, drank, preened, ate, slept, took dust baths, ate some more, repeat. Then repeat some more :)

Most of the eating was proper food, only a little bit was feathers. Nice, healthy little poops.

Until today, I thought their tails hadn't yet grown in but now I know their tails have been plucked. I saw Peggy plucking Ivy's tail.

I'm hoping a plentiful balanced diet will put a stop to it.

But in case that doesn't work, if something comes to mind, I'd appreciate advice.

Update: I've been watching the pullets off and on all day and I haven't seen feather plucking and eating since this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to make an even better report tomorrow.

Now, if the hens were writing this message it would go like this:

plz Send heLp. Intrloprs! TAll, Featherless roostr Hopeless. No enough foood 4 alL us now. Plzzzz we neeed cwowdfundr?? Mebbbe.

However, I think they've had a quite good day out in the yard, doing their chickeny business.

One setback is that Mary and Janet have reverted to blaming Sandy for everything that's gone wrong. She's been chased away from food and mildly ostracised from group activities. So I'm sitting in the yard at present, which makes them behave. Maybe they feel reassured. Sandy and Janet are snoozing side by side while Mary keeps watch.

View attachment 2008341

I love that photo. Nice relaxed flock.

I actually thought that the eat, sleep, poop, would all be separate posts with photos. I'm a little disappointed that you are already summarizing.

Back
Top Bottom