MJ's little flock

Hey MJ and everyone on this thread. How is your long weekend if your in Australia? If not how is your weekend so far?

I’ve been attaching thicker wire to the run. It’s slow and tedious work. On the plus side, I’ve been catching up on my podcasts!

I’ve been attaching thicker wire to the run. It’s slow and tedious work. On the plus side, I’ve been catching up on my podcasts!
I know the feeling. I remember about 9 months ago we had to fix the runs, took us at least 3 hours in the start of autumn so it’s still quite hot. Blah it sucked

If the pullets weren't so fast on their feet or if they were all in a smaller yard, it'd be a much more fretful story.

It's been interesting to see how far the pullets like to run before slowing down. I think I'll do all the integrating in the yard in future.
Interesting to read about the introduction, I was just thinking today that there is so much of interchicken communication that I don't understand. Like suddenly making a lot of crrrrrrrrr sounds, for sure must mean something I just really don't get it yet. Having enough space for them to settle it in their own natural way sounds like a very ideal situation though.

Wish you smooth sailing!

Interesting to read about the introduction, I was just thinking today that there is so much of interchicken communication that I don't understand. Like suddenly making a lot of crrrrrrrrr sounds, for sure must mean something I just really don't get it yet. Having enough space for them to settle it in their own natural way sounds like a very ideal situation though.

Wish you smooth sailing!
Hello Martaals. I wondered if the crrrrrrrr sound you mention is what I cal the chicken purr.
One starts and then they all stand very still and sing along.

Wish you smooth sailing!
I'm fascinated by chickens!

Among all the other "words" used by the chickens at my house, they have two ccrrrrr sounds. One means "I'm so happy right now" and the other, slightly louder, means "I'm a little bit worried, maybe I should get ready to raise the alarm?"

I've been enjoying your posts. Chickens are amazing :) so much fun and delight!

Hello Martaals. I wondered if the crrrrrrrr sound you mention is what I cal the chicken purr.
One starts and then they all stand very still and sing along.
It came today very distinctly when I was hand feeding Greta, then Aart joined and they both started crrrrrrrrr-ing and stopped eating and just looked at each other while doing that. I wasn't sure if they were having a kind of disagreement about who gets to eat or what was going on. But it sounds very much like the situation you are describing!

It came today very distinctly when I was hand feeding Greta, then Aart joined and they both started crrrrrrrrr-ing and stopped eating and just looked at each other while doing that. I wasn't sure if they were having a kind of disagreement about who gets to eat or what was going on. But it sounds very much like the situation you are describing!
It's very interesting and whatever the sound means it's an important part of their communication. I get whole tribes doing it. Think though that this sound and whatever it is associated with is important enough to overide getting treats and here, even being safe undercover. The call starts and they just stop where they are and whatever they are doing and freeze.

I'm fascinated by chickens!

Among all the other "words" used by the chickens at my house, they have two ccrrrrr sounds. One means "I'm so happy right now" and the other, slightly louder, means "I'm a little bit worried, maybe I should get ready to raise the alarm?"

I've been enjoying your posts. Chickens are amazing :) so much fun and delight!
Yeah, I guess context makes a big deal to learn what they are on about.
I think I can imagine the louder one as well, with a kind of dragging "worry" before the r gets present? Haha, so hard to write down chicken sounds. Was it a cluck or a clu-uck? 🤣
Ahh, I am so curious to learn all these sounds, for sure a bird wouldn't make so much fuss for nothing, there must be like tons of stuff going on. With the cats I know a lot of the sounds apart and they are very communicative and easy to decode, which makes it so much easier to take care of them. For chickens a little tutorial would be great. Is there like a good guide somewhere, like... I remember for horses they have these picture books showing what different states of mind look like. But then perhaps an audio library or something🤭

Back
Top Bottom