MJ's little flock

To what extent does environment play a role? I'm sure if Ivy were confined in a small run with little forage and scarce feed, she would hop the fence more often and rightly so. Perhaps they would all join in. But as that's not the case, she hops out only for adventures.

I think that is a huge part of it. With enough space and resources, why would you look to leave? Chickens are curious by nature, some more so than others. While mine won't fly the fence, when I open the gate they are looking to break out for sure into that side yard. It looks so green and luscious! Yummy.

Hello :frow how are the barred hollands these days?
Doing well, but it's muddy out there...
IMG_1392.jpg

Good morning MJ and everyone 😊

Birds are fed and watered for today, so now I can relax and get things ready for work tomorrow.
Have a great day
Thank you! It's a peaceful work day of getting things done. Tomorrow is meetings all day long.

I think that is a huge part of it. With enough space and resources, why would you look to leave? Chickens are curious by nature, some more so than others. While mine won't fly the fence, when I open the gate they are looking to break out for sure into that side yard. It looks so green and luscious! Yummy.
Green and luscious.. I'm looking forward to winter.

Thanks Shad. I'll be sure to get ground dwelling chickens in future.

Both Ivy and Peggy are bitzers so it's hard to know which breed is in them, much less predict how the genes will express in flight. Recall, the people who sold them to me didn't even know their age with certainty - on their account, Peggy laid 6 eggs in 6 days at 18 weeks.

For now Ivy continues to grow and I think she'll eventually be a heavier hen. She's as tall as Janet the Barnevelder and is catching up to Sandy, neither of whom fly, yet she's still lanky. Once she fills out I think she'll be a heavy hen and less likely to fly over the fence.
Does Janet fly MJ?

Back
Top Bottom