MJ's little flock

Ok. See the attached drawing and I will try to explain it.

View attachment 2379566

Remember that everything starts with run. It is all run space as the coop and porch are both elevated. I can segregate the big run from the coop & extension by dropping a door down which blocks off the extension.

The complex is a "U" because of the Birch Tree which shades the coop and run in the summer.
This diagram is awesome! I've got a very clear idea now :) I hadn't realised there was such a big space between the coop and the back fence.

Yeh! I decided U shape for a tree too! Well, it will be a fully grown tree one day. It's only five years old and the first two years were spent in a pot.

This diagram is awesome! I've got a very clear idea now :) I hadn't realised there was such a big space between the coop and the back fence.

Yeh! I decided U shape for a tree too! Well, it will be a fully grown tree one day. It's only five years old and the first two years were spent in a pot.
Funnily enough my own house is a U and yet it never crossed my mind to build the Chicken Palace that way.
I think I was so focused on handling the hill it never struck me.
As someone who lives in a U - I can reassure you that it is wonderful and your chickens will definitely think so too!

Yes, it is10 feet from the back of the coop to the perimeter fence.

I love that you are building around a tree as well. It's a great concept and provides both shade and coverage for them.

Funnily enough my own house is a U and yet it never crossed my mind to build the Chicken Palace that way.
I think I was so focused on handling the hill it never struck me.
As someone who lives in a U - I can reassure you that it is wonderful and your chickens will definitely think so too!
Lately I've been fantasising about octagon houses.

Imagine this: 7 rooms and 1 garage with an open tiled area in the middle, with a wading pool. 8 gardens radiating outwards. If I really want to let my imagination go, it's got two stories, with sleeping upstairs and living downstairs. Deep, shady verandah all the way round providing for deep shady balconies all the way around.

I have no clue where the idea of this bizarre and unachievable fantasy house comes from. Probably the internet somehow.

Imagine this: 7 rooms and 1 garage with an open tiled area in the middle, with a wading pool. 8 gardens radiating outwards. If I really want to let my imagination go, it's got two stories, with sleeping upstairs and living downstairs. Deep, shady verandah all the way round providing for deep shady balconies all the way around.

I have no clue where the idea of this bizarre and unachievable fantasy house comes from. Probably the internet somehow.
Sounds wonderful - I can see it in my minds eye. I have always wanted what they call here a 'wrap around porch' - which you see on some Victorian houses here but more in the South - your house would be like that only way better!

Sounds amazing. I will probably be rolling that over in my brain now.

Janet and Mary don't need to free range any more. They say they're perfectly comfy in the leafy bottle brush cave they found. Ivy loves it too. Even Peggy with her Irritable Fowl Syndrome is happy in the leafy cave.

IMG20201020151054.jpg

Sounds wonderful - I can see it in my minds eye. I have always wanted what they call here a 'wrap around porch' - which you see on some Victorian houses here but more in the South - your house would be like that only way better!
Jyst imagine... Any time of day: shade.

Back
Top Bottom