MJ's little flock

Unrelated but your avatar cracks me up, I actually own that hat or mask or whatever you would call it lol
:eek: that's amazing! My profile pic used to be my chickens until @BYBob shared a photo of the chicken hat-mask and I switched it to make everyone laugh!

You're saying hi on the basis of the chicken hat adds a whole new chapter!

So, Hi :frow and :lau

Good luck at the vet. It all sounds like it is going very well. :love
if you don’t mind I am curious how Peggy takes the Clav on cheese. Is that mixed in with cottage cheese? Cut into pieces of hard cheese? I assume it is a powder?
I ask because Maggie’s vet suggested giving her some supplements - he said it wasn’t critical and wouldn’t likely change her prognosis but might boost her immune system. Honestly I think it was more to make me feel better! It is just vitamins.
Anyway, the only way I could get Maggie to eat a powder was to take live meal worms and coat them in a tiny amount of peanut butter oil so they were ‘sticky’ and then sprinkle the powder on them as they wriggled.
Quite a palaver!
Your approach sounds easier so I am keen to learn.
Actually it's a liquid. And it's in a tiny bottle with a dropper. So I measure 0.2ml and drop the clavulox onto the cheese. Then she eats it up. A few strands of grated mature cheese works best because if I mix it with cottage cheese, she always leaves some behind.

So I'm wondering if you can add the powders to some pellets then add a little water and stir it all together. You could add some cottage cheese to make it palatable and hope she eats it all up. If you make it a small meal and you offer it first thing when she's hungry, she might eat it all up. Or you could skip the pellets altogether and mix the powders with a spoonful of cottage cheese and give it as a daily treat.

Can you explain (because I missed it I guess) what food the vet put them on, and why it is special?
If you take Peggy off the special food, won’t she get sick again?
I’m a little confused about that?
She's supposed to be on a high protein, low fat diet.

Their old food claims to be 17% protein and 4% fat. But it's not a pellet, so maybe Peggy was cherry picking her favorite bits.

The new pellets are 15% protein and 3% fat.

All the hens love their old food. Only Mary loves the new pellets, the others eat the pellets begrudgingly.

Anyway, I want to talk it over with him to reassure myself they're on the best diet.

She's supposed to be on a high protein, low fat diet.

Their old food claims to be 17% protein and 4% fat. But it's not a pellet, so maybe Peggy was cherry picking her favorite bits.

The new pellets are 15% protein and 3% fat.

All the hens love their old food. Only Mary loves the new pellets, the others eat the pellets begrudgingly.

Anyway, I want to talk it over with him to reassure myself they're on the best diet.
Okay, I get it! :thumbsup

This is Link.
Much to his horror, I picked him up, told what his name is to be and then fed him some walnut.
Thanks Bob. Sometimes we all need reminding to do the right thing.
View attachment 2424948
Hello Link! I've heard good things about you! Keep calm and carry on is a good motto for you. It'll keep you out of trouble.

Actually it's a liquid. And it's in a tiny bottle with a dropper. So I measure 0.2ml and drop the clavulox onto the cheese. Then she eats it up. A few strands of grated mature cheese works best because if I mix it with cottage cheese, she always leaves some behind.

So I'm wondering if you can add the powders to some pellets then add a little water and stir it all together. You could add some cottage cheese to make it palatable and hope she eats it all up. If you make it a small meal and you offer it first thing when she's hungry, she might eat it all up. Or you could skip the pellets altogether and mix the powders with a spoonful of cottage cheese and give it as a daily treat.
Thanks! I will try all of the above.
She is much perkier now her molt is over, it doesn't change the underlying problem of her reproductive system, but I am more than ever convinced that I did the right thing by not euthanizing her back in September. She had a lot of fun in a leaf pile today and came across one of the many mouse bodies left in there and gobbled it up. Now I realize that she likes her mouse-steak dry aged. Of course she does!

Thanks! I will try all of the above.
She is much perkier now her molt is over, it doesn't change the underlying problem of her reproductive system, but I am more than ever convinced that I did the right thing by not euthanizing her back in September. She had a lot of fun in a leaf pile today and came across one of the many mouse bodies left in there and gobbled it up. Now I realize that she likes her mouse-steak dry aged. Of course she does!
I hope one of those options works out for her. Also, I'm confident you'd recognise any change in her attitude or body language and would make a wise end of life decision for her when the time is right. For now, she might as well continue enjoying her days and aged steak :)

Back
Top Bottom