MJ's little flock

We're home again and Mark is very satisfied with Peggy's well-being. Her wound is healing nicely and her poops were plentiful and the right colour.

We're sticking to the new pellets because we suspect Peggy was selecting the fattier bits out of the se17enteen mix and making herself sick. I didn't help by giving the too many meal worms and the ends from the bread loaves.

Her next follow up is in 3 months and I'll be taking Janet along for a checkup.

Cross ref to me thinking I was posting here when I was posting on Ribh's thread :lau :gig

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/post-23589532
That is just great news. I'm so happy for you both. A great way for me to start my Thanksgiving Day. :love

Good word, isn't it!

For me it covers all the trades but other people say chippy and sparky for carpenter and electrician.

The only other one I can think of is ‘bricky’ for bricklayers. I don’t think plumbers get a nickname but it’s usually pronounced ‘plumma’.

Moving on to emergency services, you’ve got fireys and ambos.... ;)

We're home again and Mark is very satisfied with Peggy's well-being. Her wound is healing nicely and her poops were plentiful and the right colour.

We're sticking to the new pellets because we suspect Peggy was selecting the fattier bits out of the se17enteen mix and making herself sick. I didn't help by giving the too many meal worms and the ends from the bread loaves.

Her next follow up is in 3 months and I'll be taking Janet along for a checkup.

Cross ref to me thinking I was posting here when I was posting on Ribh's thread :lau :gig

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/post-23589532

So happy for you both! :wee

It's another relief, but not as big as the last one!

She was delightful company at breakfast time, chatting with me while I drank my tea.

She's becoming very good at travelling in the car too. She was peaceful but interested the whole way there, piping up to say errr errr every time the car stopped at a light and after I got out of the car for petrol, she gave a cheerful bokky bokky bok when I got back in. But on the way home she was tuckered out and slept the last few kilometres.
I am so glad that she is recovering well!

It's a hot day, 41C (105F). The hens spent the morning in the shade by their water dispenser. By 1pm that spot was almost in full sun, so I picked up Mary (!!!) and carried her into the henhouse where the misting had been running all morning. The thermometer said 35C in there. Then I brought out four frozen esky blocks and I put ice cubes in the water. I was just stepping out of the henhouse again when the other three hens came running across to join Mary. That was a couple of hours ago. I've just popped out to check on them and found Mary lying down on one of the frozen esky blocks, keeping her tummy cool.

I'm still slightly shocked I was able to pick her up! That's a sign of how lazy she was feeling in the heat. I'm glad she let me carry her because it saved her some energy.

It's a hot day, 41C (105F). The hens spent the morning in the shade by their water dispenser. By 1pm that spot was almost in full sun, so I picked up Mary (!!!) and carried her into the henhouse where the misting had been running all morning. The thermometer said 35C in there. Then I brought out four frozen esky blocks and I put ice cubes in the water. I was just stepping out of the henhouse again when the other three hens came running across to join Mary. That was a couple of hours ago. I've just popped out to check on them and found Mary lying down on one of the frozen esky blocks, keeping her tummy cool.

I'm still slightly shocked I was able to pick her up! That's a sign of how lazy she was feeling in the heat. I'm glad she let me carry her because it saved her some energy.
I've just checked on the hens and they're doing really well under the misting. Only Mary was panting and she was sitting on the esky ice block too. I put fresh ice cubes in their water just in case they need it.

The thermometer said 32C in the henhouse, but it's 39.2C outside.

Esky blocks are a good idea. I was thinking of filling a hot water bottle with ice cubes. 🤔

Where did you put the esky blocks so Mary used them?

Back
Top Bottom