MJ's little flock

It's been blissful!

I even went out for lunch and a bit of a rummage around the market yesterday. Found myself a new old teacup and was given a tarnished old EPNS coffee pot and creamer. Can't wait to give them a bicarb soda hot bath and see how they come up.

View attachment 2430146

View attachment 2430159

I'll do a before/after shot for ACM :D shame the hinge on the coffee pot is wonky.
That is lovely, MJ! 🥰

That is amazingly clever. I love it. Great job.

Thanks! I was really worried about them over the weekend, it was so hot! They looked so stressed and I didn’t want to give them a cool bath in case it stressed them even more. I’ve also put the shade cloth back up in the run and also put a bamboo fence panel behind the favoured henhouse, to deflect the heat from the fence.

Bear in mind that a chickens core body temp is 41C. If the ambient temp is above that it is impossible for them to transfer heat from their bodies to the environment.
Ice cubes etc will not help much in this condition and they need to be in deep shade ideally.
Yes, but I also ice my chickens’ water in extreme heat so they will drink it. :)

A misting system is an evaporative air-conditioner, same as a waterfall.

I'm a bit sketchy on the details (high school chemistry was a long time ago) but iirc, as the mist dries up (that is, as it converts to steam and floats away) it's using up the heat in its environment, making the environment cooler. This is why you feel cool even after you come out of the swimming pool in summer.
In summer, I walk around the yard with a thermometer. I find it is always a few degrees hotter a couple inches off the ground i the hot sun than it is at my standing height. It’s always several degrees cooler in the shade, and a few degrees cooler than that if I have the mister fans running. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom