MJ's little flock

I am glad that you have the house now. You shall proceed however you decide from here on in. You earned the right. You are lucky, I believe, to have this home which has so much of your “ancestors” history. :love
Houses are so much more than their value as real estate. All the labour and craftsmanship that goes into building them. All the conversations that occur between their walls. All the love and caring they witness.

There's a type of sadness in treating a house as nothing more than an investment.

I bought some wildflower seeds at TSC today. I want to scatter some wildflowers along the edge of our woods. I guess I should give it another week or two before I start.
I am anxious to put my vegetable garden in too.
At home (in PA), I always had a nice veggie garden and nice flower beds.
Since moving to SC, my green thumb seems to have turned black. The soil where we live is so different. Very sandy for one thing and under that is some clay-like sticky dirt.
My vegetable garden literally died the first year we lived where we are now. I think I need topsoil. Ugh. :rant:hit:barnie:confused:

I bought some wildflower seeds at TSC today. I want to scatter some wildflowers along the edge of our woods. I guess I should give it another week or two before I start.
Since moving to SC, my green thumb seems to have turned black. The soil where we live is so different. Very sandy for one thing and under that is some clay-like sticky dirt.
My vegetable garden literally died the first year we lived where we are now. I think I need topsoil. Ugh. :rant:hit:barnie:confused:
That's a shame and a frustration. Soil makes a huge difference! I've had the same experience of plants that thrived in my previous garden die quickly here. Luckily I can remember what nana grew here and also what dad had planned. So i reach back into their wisdom then put my own twist on it wrt placement. Dad would never in his wildest dreams have put citrus near the front fence so neighbours can help themselves! Not his style :lau

Janet

Janet is a gold-laced "Barnevelder" - I use quotes because her legs aren't yellow and her eggs aren't brown. I'm pretty sure she's not a real Barnevelder, but that makes no difference to me. I bought her for $50 dollars as a pullet from a 12 year old chicken farmer :) it seemed like a lot to pay for a pullet, but I was delighted to support a youngster in his chickening. She was the first chicken to live in the new fox-proof coop. She moved in on Saturday October 20, 2018 and laid her first egg on Sunday October 21.

Favourite hobby: digging.

Second-favourite hobby: dust-bathing.

Favourite saying: peep-peep

Rank: Lieutenant (disgraced former Captain). Fought bravely and tenaciously to retain the top spot on the roost until one day Mary pushed her in just the right way and she fell off into the pine shavings below. Has not yet recovered from the embarrasment.

Named after: Janet is named after Mum. We lost our mum in 2000 from breast cancer. She was a complicated person, but we loved her. I don't have to tell anyone how special the relationship is between mother and children. You already know the story because it's just like your's: sometimes hard, mostly (mysteriously) lovely.

View attachment 1922961

For background, here are the other profiles.
She is adorable! ❤️🥰

Mary

Mary is a black Australorp. She is the prettiest of my three chickens with iridescent black plumage and big black eyes that go blink-blink in a very charming way.

Favourite hobby: drinking. Mary is a waterholic.

Favourite saying: wohr-wohr

Rank: formerly Lieutenant, now Captain. Captain's rank was obtained by strategically using her weight, agility and determination to obtain the top spot on the roost from the disgraced former Captain, Janet.

Named after: Mary is named after Mary Kopscanyi. Mary Kopscanyi was my Nana's great-niece. Mary showed me kindness and love from the day I was born until the day she died. Her house is across the street from my house (both houses were built at the same time by the same person - my great-great uncle) but it is now owned by a lovely young family of four. Mary's house was built for her grandmother, Sarah, who was my grandmother's oldest sister. Tragically, Mary's mother died young, so Sarah provided Mary with a loving home and family life. Mary passed away quite suddenly in 2016, although she was well into her 80s. Her husband, Frank, died in 2017. They are both survived by their daughter Elizabeth who I don't call often enough. I'll call her today. Mary the chicken helps me keep Mary Kopscanyi's memory alive.

View attachment 1922925

For background, here are the other profiles.
Beautiful chicken! 🥰

It occurs to me that I jumped in this thread late in the game. I wish I could go all the way back and read the whole thread but I’d be out of commission for a month. :th
I'm the same. I just can't keep up with everything without giving up sleep, so I focus on what's new and try not to think about what I've missed.

If you could mix the 2 together and and in some compost I think you might have something there :)

Back
Top Bottom