MJ's little flock

I've seen a lot of mums peck at their chicks when the chicks get in front of them rather than under their wings or bum. With all those I've seen do this, I've slid my hand under mum fingers pointing up a bit and moved the chick back underneath her. That's been enough and mum settles back down.
What I think happens is Myth's chicks got in front of her and wouldn't go back underneath and just panic chirped which stresses the hen which stresses the chicks and so on.
On the other hand Myth could just be a killer.:confused:
Myth's behaviour makes me think twice about hatching. But it's quite unusual, isn't it?

Myth's behaviour makes me think twice about hatching. But it's quite unusual, isn't it?
We have a few hens at school and I was thinking of suggesting to someone that when the next one goes broody that we should out some fertilised eggs under her to hatch, could link it to something in the STEM curriculum I’m sure, but Myth’s story has me thinking maybe not.
Plus I don’t know who would have the time and knowledge to make sure it was all going well both before and after hatching. If they paid me extra hours I would happily give it a try! I haven’t even got the time to go and meet the ladies, I will make time this week and get some pics if I can.
I think I will put a pin in this idea for now...

We have a few hens at school and I was thinking of suggesting to someone that when the next one goes broody that we should out some fertilised eggs under her to hatch, could link it to something in the STEM curriculum I’m sure, but Myth’s story has me thinking maybe not.
Plus I don’t know who would have the time and knowledge to make sure it was all going well both before and after hatching. If they paid me extra hours I would happily give it a try! I haven’t even got the time to go and meet the ladies, I will make time this week and get some pics if I can.
I think I will put a pin in this idea for now...
If the hen became murderous, it would be rather traumatising for the kids.

If the hen became murderous, it would be rather traumatising for the kids.
I feel pretty safe saying that this is not at all a common occurrence. I trusted Sydney and that trust was rewarded. This was one of the great experiences in my life.
2020-06-27 20.41.18.jpg

I feel pretty safe saying that this is not at all a common occurrence. I trusted Sydney and that trust was rewarded. This was one of the great experiences in my life.
View attachment 2548371
Awww, so amazing!
I felt so whimsical about it this morning I emailed our assistant principal who runs the STEM classes for the 3-6’s and suggested it, with a question of the logistics overall for our school to do something like it. I know there’s a lifecycle component to the Vic curriculum in STEM so that fits in there haha.
I think it would be a wonderous experience for the kids....and adults, or maybe just me 🤭

Awww, so amazing!
I felt so whimsical about it this morning I emailed our assistant principal who runs the STEM classes for the 3-6’s and suggested it, with a question of the logistics overall for our school to do something like it. I know there’s a lifecycle component to the Vic curriculum in STEM so that fits in there haha.
I think it would be a wonderous experience for the kids....and adults, or maybe just me 🤭
Everybody wins!

Back
Top Bottom