MJ's little flock

Good evening folks :frow

What about eggs left in the nest? Say for example a hen lays more than 10 eggs before she decides to sit?

I'm very curious about this too.

My frizzle breeder friend has said she had viable eggs after three weeks, but won’t sell them if they are more than 10 days old.
I haven't read any studies on broody's hatching and how long they are viable. The one and only time I gave a broody eggs, she immediately kicked two out of the nest. My assumption was that somehow she knew they weren't viable.

The 10 day rule is just a rule of thumb. There are lots of folks experimenting with different methods, keeping eggs more than a month before incubating and still getting good hatch results.

The weirdest I've seen was a friend who lost her roo and pulled two month old eggs out of the fridge and managed to hatch 80%.

I haven't read any studies on broody's hatching and how long they are viable. The one and only time I gave a broody eggs, she immediately kicked two out of the nest. My assumption was that somehow she knew they weren't viable.

The 10 day rule is just a rule of thumb. There are lots of folks experimenting with different methods, keeping eggs more than a month before incubating and still getting good hatch results.

The weirdest I've seen was a friend who lost her roo and pulled two month old eggs out of the fridge and managed to hatch 80%.
2 months old seems pretty amazing. Refrigerated as well. That's incredible.

Quite similar to freezing human eggs and sperm...

There's a lot more to it than I thought!

When the time comes, I'll ask for 3 eggs but I'll take 6 if the breeder insists. Once the housing is right, I'll get eggs for whoever becomes broody. I think it will be Ivy, but it could be Mary.

As usual I'm planning very far in advance! It's 1-2 years off I think.

It is MJ but it's terribly slow. His attitude had improved a lot though. I don't think the foot hurts him any longer which is halfway there.
That's great news. It's been a long time healing. Is that usually the case for bumbles?

Bob, out of curiosity, how many eggs did you give her? Did she reject 2 out of 3? Or 2 out of 12? You see what I'm getting at.

Good for you MJ!

It brings to mind this quote:

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude...

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.
"

I'm afraid I don't know who said it.
I copied your quote and put it in Google. Charles R. Swindoll.

Back
Top Bottom