MJ's little flock

Being emotional just means you will love them more and treat them like treasured pets, rather than primary producers. I’m sure MJ won’t mind at all how often you post. :hugs
Not in slightest. It's important bok and scrambles have support but it's not important where that happens.

Screenshot_2021-04-10-13-48-00-67.png

Janet discovered her love of basil.

Thank you @rjohns39, and good morning.
I’m so grateful to all you folks on here and the other threads I assault with my presence 😅
The decision to bring her inside was a tough one, being with her peeps might be beneficial but with the temp dropping today I felt I owed it to her to keep her warm. I told my husband after I did it with Penny to no avail I wouldn’t do it again. But despite his eternal wisdom (😉) of how she’s not going to get better for it, I told him it will be a day and see how she goes.
Oh dear, an emotional person like me maybe shouldn’t have gotten new chickens!
For me a major part of looking after chickens is the emotional connection. We disregard so much of what gives us sadness in our lives; the assumption seems to be that we are all entitled to have everything we want and to be constantly happy. Just look at many of the greetings and posts that almost demand we have a happy this day, or a happy that.
For me, chickens have provided a balance as I believe it should be.
You can only do so much Scrambles83.
My view is when a chicken will no longer eat, their will to live has gone. I try to stick to the rule that if after three days they are still not eating then the kindest thing to do is to put an end to their lives as quickly and painlessly as possible.
I've broken this rule on a few occasions and each time I have regretted it. Realising that my need to keep a chicken alive outweighs their need to die is something I still feel guilty for.
As you've probably read, Fat Bird is now elderly and I was most concerned at the point where she seemed to have lost interest in eating. Thankfully it only lasted a couple of days. One more day and I would have put an end to her. I've known Fat Bird for ten years. That's a long long time but I would still kill her when she has shown she has lost the will to go on.
Thankfully, she's out under a bush with her tribe now stuffing her face, looking like she has the will to struggle on. I will try to match that will.
I think you're an ideal person to keep chickens and assuming you carry on, I think you will come to appreciate the sad and the happy and the emotional peaks and troughs will subside and balance will come.:hugs

For me a major part of looking after chickens is the emotional connection. We disregard so much of what gives us sadness in our lives; the assumption seems to be that we are all entitled to have everything we want and to be constantly happy. Just look at many of the greetings and posts that almost demand we have a happy this day, or a happy that.
For me, chickens have provided a balance as I believe it should be.
You can only do so much Scrambles83.
My view is when a chicken will no longer eat, their will to live has gone. I try to stick to the rule that if after three days they are still not eating then the kindest thing to do is to put an end to their lives as quickly and painlessly as possible.
I've broken this rule on a few occasions and each time I have regretted it. Realising that my need to keep a chicken alive outweighs their need to die is something I still feel guilty for.
As you've probably read, Fat Bird is now elderly and I was most concerned at the point where she seemed to have lost interest in eating. Thankfully it only lasted a couple of days. One more day and I would have put an end to her. I've known Fat Bird for ten years. That's a long long time but I would still kill her when she has shown she has lost the will to go on.
Thankfully, she's out under a bush with her tribe now stuffing her face, looking like she has the will to struggle on. I will try to match that will.
I think you're an ideal person to keep chickens and assuming you carry on, I think you will come to appreciate the sad and the happy and the emotional peaks and troughs will subside and balance will come.:hugs
So well said Shad.

Thanks MJ, not sure I could get it into her. She’s turning her beak up at everything now. I called our local vet and I can take her in there tomorrow at the earliest to be put to sleep. I’m just going out to clean up the coop from the girls last night so she can be out with her friends instead of in with us. I think she would prefer it to the strange laundry environment.
I'll be thinking of Bok and of you today Scrambles.

Wishing you both courage and dignity.

I'll be thinking of Bok and of you today Scrambles.

Wishing you both courage and dignity.
Thanks 💜
She’s booked in at 3:50 this afternoon.

I’ve got a resting place dug out for her under the yukkas where she loved to sit. Would have preferred it deeper but it’s solid clay so I did my best. I will put a big paver on top to deter digging.

I nearly lost my nerve due to ME not being ready for the time to come but your message helped me through my falter 🥺
I’m glad I didn’t reneg because she hasn’t come out of the coop all day and I’ve seen she’s gone from the perch to the nesting box now.
She is ready 😢

Back
Top Bottom