MJ's little flock

I've been looking at them and trying them out and they seem a little uncomfy around the lower back, although that probably says more about my back than the hanging chair.
I find them uncomfortable over long periods of time. How much cogitating are you planning on doing?

Veranda update for anyone interested: the painter called to plan a visit for a pre-quote inspection. He's on holiday at present but will call again this week to make a date and time for his inspection. I have a feeling it'll be a 5 figure quote. Hope not, but that's my hunch.
That's feels quite excessive for the job on hand. I sure hope you are pleasantly surprised.

It's early morning with a bright cold sunrise and I've got tea handy.

Some time ago, the hens started adapting from nighttime dinners to early breakfasts, with grazing and pellets all day, as always. The change was inevitable under this year's commitments which involve some evening work. They took to it quite well, with the youngsters leading the way and Mary coming around to it in due course.

At the same time, due to mice making their presence clear, I started removing all food overnight, except for the treadle feeders. This appears to have been successful with no trace of mice since then.

However, the sparrow. When I go to work, the hens are are given treats in the run so I can shut them in safely (a Peregrine falcon has been hunting in the neighbourhood). Every time I get home from work and go check on the hens, there's always one sparrow in the run. Sometimes, it's 9pm and fully dark when I check on the hens and the poor sparrow is always upset because it hasn't been able to go roost with its friends. So, I need to recommence sparrow-proofing efforts.

IMG_2023-09-17-18-10-49-271.jpg

The new roost box is working great, with Ivy and Peggy both preferring to roost on the end of the perch, which juts out beyond the floor. I assume they like the airflow on their bellies. Mary prefers the far end of the perch, against the back wall, which would be the snug spot. The other three jostle in the middle. One issue I have with the roost box is condensate on cold mornings. There's no hint of it dripping on the hens, but it sometimes drips from the central beam and might drip onto the hens it it gets extremely heavy. I may drill some vents at the top of the side wall to create a little more airflow along and up the ceiling.

IMG_2023-08-26-18-27-55-458.jpg

This old photo shows where the ventilation holes would be (top left) but it doesn't show recent roosting arrangements.

It seems most of the moulting has concluded, with only Christa still dropping feathers. Everyone has excellent appetite and energy, even Mary has been celebrating life lately, with many flappy stand-talls, which is not like her, she's usually quieter. I'm glad she's feeling a little joie de vivre. I still worry about her vision but she has no trouble picking up treats, so that's good. Only Katie is laying and not too often, 4-5 a week. I'm almost out of eggs, which means it's almost time to start going out for weekend breakfasts again :D

I'm off to a wedding this afternoon, can't wait! So the hens will have 3-4 hours to roam around, then they'll have to be enclosed until tomorrow morning. They'll be ok, the run is extremely spacious for six hens.

Here are a couple of jigsaw puzzles. Easy and harder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom