MJ's little flock

I still count myself as inexperienced but from what I've heard, there are two safe ways to hold a chicken (there may be more but I haven't learned them yet). The first is hands around the wings, lift, support the feet, hold the chicken close to your body. The other method I once saw Shad describe is by gently and slowly lifting with the hen with her standing on your hands, and this is how I handled Janet last night because I was afraid of breaking an egg shell inside her, I didn't want to hold her torso. It worked really well. I was surprised how calm she was.
How do you persuade her to stand on your hands?

How do you persuade her to stand on your hands?
I lifted her foot and slid my hand under. The other foot followed as a sort of reflex. I think she wasn't confident with one foot slightly higher than the other, she wanted both feet higher.

I imagine it's slightly different every time.

It's surprising what I can get away with when the hens are sleeping.

Hands around wings & torso is how I normally do it ~ just to stop any wing flailing. Olivia & Desdemona will both attempt to stand on my hands & balance themselves. As they are co~operative I carry them as they prefer.
That's how I normally do it too. But this was a special case.

@ least now you know & can treat. :hugs
Exactly. The certainty is reassuring.

I was completely wrong when I was guessing egg binding. Imagine if I had tried treating her for egg binding! I might've injured her or worse :eek:

It doesn't bear thinking about.

Navigating for me.

Turn lef plz.

No turn plz.

IMG20210422162556.jpg

So Janet's treatment is lincospectin in her water for a week. She seemed to enjoy her ride in the car and was very happy to be home.

She's already had some of her special water, some dinner and some bites of apple, so that's good.

On top of her infection, she's moulting, poor old chook.

Mark thinks this new infection might be secondary to coryza, which has been an ongoing problem for her.

Anyway, Peggy and I think Ivy have appointments coming up and Mark said to bring Jan along too so he can check on her. So it'll be three hens scooting off to the vet in one visit! It's getting so I need an emotional support hen for whoever stays home!

Back
Top Bottom