MJ's little flock

Exactly. The certainty is reassuring.

I was completely wrong when I was guessing egg binding. Imagine if I had tried treating her for egg binding! I might've injured her or worse :eek:

It doesn't bear thinking about.
Not completely wrong. You knew something wasn’t right with her and you got the reproductive system as the cause.
J am actually a bit in awe of you observation skills.
So happy Dr.Mark was able to figure it out.

No, I have too many for that. You've inspired me to count them and there are 32.

I use a teacup with my weekend breakfasts though. Tthe octagonal blue and white one is a favourite and so is the pale green flowered one my aunty gave me. I'll probably use the new one this weekend.
I can't wait to see it

She was very good last night when I took her off the roost. I used the @Shadrach method of bringing her down slowly while standing on my hands. I really didn't want to hold her torso in case there was a egg inside her. She was a champion and only flapped her wings a little. We took it very very slowly and I'm very proud of her for trusting me.
Very smart thinking. Good work on both your parts.

Phyllis prefers to just stand on my hand or arm if I need to transport her. She is surprisingly confident in me. 🥰 I always support their feet when holding or transporting them.

I still count myself as inexperienced but from what I've heard, there are two safe ways to hold a chicken (there may be more but I haven't learned them yet). The first is hands around the wings, lift, support the feet, hold the chicken close to your body. The other method I once saw Shad describe is by gently and slowly lifting with the hen with her standing on your hands, and this is how I handled Janet last night because I was afraid of breaking an egg shell inside her, I didn't want to hold her torso. It worked really well. I was surprised how calm she was.
Shad also has a technique to get them off the roost which works wonderfully.

If you tap the back of their leg they will step backwards. I use this to get them to step onto my hand or arm so I don't have to pry them from the roost. They move on their own that way.

So Janet's treatment is lincospectin in her water for a week. She seemed to enjoy her ride in the car and was very happy to be home.

She's already had some of her special water, some dinner and some bites of apple, so that's good.

On top of her infection, she's moulting, poor old chook.

Mark thinks this new infection might be secondary to coryza, which has been an ongoing problem for her.

Anyway, Peggy and I think Ivy have appointments coming up and Mark said to bring Jan along too so he can check on her. So it'll be three hens scooting off to the vet in one visit! It's getting so I need an emotional support hen for whoever stays home!
I'm glad it's something that is treatable. That is good news. Great observations on your part leading to early discovery. Good work.

Back
Top Bottom