MJ's little flock

Nope, I think I’m going to be waiting until spring now with the shorter days and colder weather 😭😉
Well, it's not entirely a bad thing. I recall the vet telling me hens are born with all the eggs they'll ever lay. In microscopic pre-egg form of course. So if they start late, they'll continue late until they run out of eggs. And all those reproductive hormones are tightly linked with aging. So Snow and Belle have the potential to live long, predation notwithstanding. Ummm i love scientific detail but some folks hate it. I hope I haven't upset you. My intention was to cheer you up.

Well, it's not entirely a bad thing. I recall the vet telling me hens are born with all the eggs they'll ever lay. In microscopic pre-egg form of course. So if they start late, they'll continue late until they run out of eggs. And all those reproductive hormones are tightly linked with aging. So Snow and Belle have the potential to live long, predation notwithstanding. Ummm i love scientific detail but some folks hate it. I hope I haven't upset you. My intention was to cheer you up.
No, you didn’t upset me at all ☺️ that was my way of thinking about it. You can’t force nature, they will start when they/their bodies are ready. I know Sussex can be late bloomers and the late age has just coincided with the prewinter weather.
If I only had them for the eggs it would be a different story but that’s not the case. I want them around for as long as possible 💜
Unless of course I’ve managed to get 2 barren hens 😂 then I might be waiting a long while 😉

I does look good! Although the hens must feel like they're living in an Escher painting 😆. Is that the home made new coop?
Nope, it's the "new" coop I bought when I introduced Alice and Edwina 2 years ago. The homemade one has stalled. 😞

Yes, they were rather perplexed. You should have seen the looks I was getting at roosting time!

You are absolutely correct. They are hatched with every egg they will ever lay. Just like humans, except the laying part. 😉

Nope, it's the "new" coop I bought when I introduced Alice and Edwina 2 years ago. The homemade one has stalled. 😞

Yes, they were rather perplexed. You should have seen the looks I was getting at roosting time!
Nobody likes change, especially creatures of habit like chickens.

Back
Top Bottom