MJ's little flock

I need to do this in the spring if I can figure out how to get a hose past the pool.
I was wondering about that too - but @MaryJanet is in a dry environment so misting causes cooling with evaporation. I am not sure it would work in a very humid environment such as the one I deal with and I assume you too.
WDYT?

I was wondering about that too - but @MaryJanet is in a dry environment so misting causes cooling with evaporation. I am not sure it would work in a very humid environment such as the one I deal with and I assume you too.
WDYT?
I have watered the ground for them and noticed a change in temp as it dries out. I realized this morning that I can no longer put this in the run for them because of the Cluckle Hut. I'm now considering using it under the grapes.

I have watered the ground for them and noticed a change in temp as it dries out. I realized this morning that I can no longer put this in the run for them because of the Cluckle Hut. I'm now considering using it under the grapes.
Oh that is good to know. I did water in the summer and hung up wet sheets in the breeze, but I never recorded the temperature so wasn’t sure if it worked.

WDYT?
I wonder about that too. I rarely have to cope with heat and humidity. Usually it's just heat, and often there's too much of it.

P
Oh that is good to know. I did water in the summer and hung up wet sheets in the breeze, but I never recorded the temperature so wasn’t sure if it worked.
The extent to which misting reduces temp would depend on conditions. If you have days that are more humid than others, I'd expect misting to be less effective at reducing temperature on those days, but it may still provide some relief.

I'm just writing down a few questions I was worried about when I first started using a mister, because I may turn these posts into an article one day.

Why is it possible to simply push the misting hose into the misters? Surely the misting hose and misters will come apart under pressure from the water?

The hose expands slightly when under pressure and in doing so, it grips all the joins. However keeping the system at high pressure will age it and this is why the pressure release valve is needed. Also, you don't want old water in there all year round. I'm sure it would not be good for the misting nozzles and the chickens.

How does it cool?

Through evaporation, which uses up the heat in the environment, leaving the air cooler. It's the same principle as when you get out of a swimming pool and wait for the water to dry on your skin instead of using a towel; you might even shiver from the chill.

Surely it's better if the misting is pointed at the chickens, like a shower?

Don't get the chickens wet because they need dry feathers to insulate them against the heat.

Why is a filter needed?

Even drinking water may have tiny particles in it. These are ok for drinking but will cause a blockage in the misting nozzles, which are designed and made to produce an ultra-fine spray. The best way to keep particles out of the nozzles is to keep them out of the misting hose. To do this, a filter is needed.

Why do the nozzles need cleaning if there's a filter?

The misting system will probably only be in use on hot days. Most of the year, it will be idle. During this time, the wind may carry particles that get stuck in the misting nozzles. Or perhaps a tiny insect will visit a nozzle. So, if you see the nozzles are not working the same as last summer, clean them up by unscrewing them from their casing and dropping them into vinegar for a day or so.

I can't think of any more questions right now 🤔 If any occur to you, please tell me.

WDYT?
My thoughts are : YUK!!! We have very humid summers. I can't think of anything worse than more moisture in the air.

Back
Top Bottom