MJ's little flock

There is no way you could have known. Other people including myself have had double and even triple sitters and healthy chicks have hatched. You've been unlucky and so have Peggy and Ivy.
Hens will quite happily leave sick or late chicks at the nest when they decide it's time to go. Having "saved" a couple of chicks many years ago only to find out later that they had problems that were not apparent at the time, I resolved never to interfere again. If mum abandons them, I kill them.
It's unfortunate that this has happened on your/their first attempt. I doubt it will put them off and you shouldn't let it put you off either...imo:p
And remember Happy Cheeks? Cashew abandoned her as she was getting sick (weird, stiff, Mareks-like legs) at two weeks old. She died under Cashew that evening.

Old Gorgeous is taking some time away from her nemesis.

IMG_2022-01-28-08-48-37-444.jpg

She doesn't really need to because Peggy is almost completely over her broodiness. She didn't sit at all yesterday and she's calmer.

I'm indulging Mary's anxieties by letting her have her own space away from Peggy.

Tomorrow I'll insist they both go in the run.

Back
Top Bottom