MJ's little flock

Yes! It seems like one simple act on my part would've had a big change in outcomes but I didn't know the chick was in trouble and my commitment to not intervene stopped me from checking every few minutes.
I've said this before, but you did the right thing MJ. It may not seem so now.

This paints a very clear picture, thank you.

I thought I'd end up with two chicks from four eggs and then the eggs arrived over three days and I didn't know about keeping them in an egg carton and turning them by hand, so three went under Peggy and the last one to arrive was opened to look for the spot. I can see now I should've started with six eggs.
Six is what I usually allow. I've been reluctant to let hens sit on more, mainly because having watched Cheepy and Flyte hatch armies and not be able to cope, six seems like the best option. If three hatch mum will generally be able to feed them and keep them in order. Six hatching is a tall order for mums.

I know someone has had a go at this later on in the thread.
Things go wrong with incubators to. I would never use an incubator unless I was working with endangered breeds and desperately needed chicks. Ime hens are far better at the job than any incubator. Plus, chicks hatched by hens have a proper upbringing and education, not to mention all the mother love and care and no matter how many people call themselves chicken mums etc the simple fact is there is no way to substitute for a hen as a mother.
I accept all of that but the risk of death by hen is eliminated in an incubator.

Death by misadventure and incubator failure and growing up without a proper parent ...

Hen hatches are worth the risk. But I won't be trying double or triple hens for a good long while.

I don't think it was unusual Bob. MJ has just been very unlucky. Out of all the broody hens I've watched sit and hatch I can't think of one that didn't hatch at least one chick and usually most of the eggs that were fertile. I have had hens hatch chicks that didn't survive long and hens abandon partially hatched chicks.
More frustrating is having a hen (usually a pullet or young hen, sit for say 15 days, get bored and leave the nest.:rolleyes:
Thanks for that clarification. It did not feel unusual at the time but I only have done a hatch once.

Yes, mate, still in a holding pattern.

I'm beginning to consider options in case the last chick has died in the shell.

So I've got a question for everyone: which do you think is best?
  • A pair of teenage pullets.
  • A few chicks for Ivy to raise.
I'm not asking which is cuter and more fun. I'm asking which is best for the flock?
What is best for the flock is to wait and let the next broody hen sit.
Absolutely no doubt in my mind this is far better than either option above.

Then pullets. If I remember correctly Shad had quite a bit to say about it ~ I think on Bob's thread when he was getting chicks. Pullets you will get some squabbling initially but no~one will kill anyone & you will have layers through winter more than likely.
I can't believe I've had a bit to say on this topic.:p:D

Blow me down if the wild child hasn't learned an adorable and useful new trick!

Since returning to the roost with Mary and Janet, anxieties have skyrocketed.

To ease the ruckus, Peggy has learned to step on my hand and be carried up to the rafter! Cool as a cucumber!

Three nights in a row and it's getting easier each time.

I'm both delighted and flabbergasted!

View attachment 2977634
:clap:yaWay too go peggy, a free lift too bed. I could learn from you girl

Chickens are good at teaching us about life and death.
They are also good, or should be, on the subject of patience and timing. One could easily get the impression that you are likely to drop dead in the near future and never get the chance to watch hens hatch again.
Relax. You don't need more chickens as far as I can see. Look at it like you're saving up for something special and it's going to take a bit of time,:hugs

I hope to work on it a little each weekend. I won't push it. Instead it'll be a pleasure project, to be undertaken at a leisurely pace and with love and care, both for myself and for the hens.

Luckily one of the neighbours is a woodworker in his spare time. He mostly turns things on his lathe, but he knows all about woodwork and about chickens, so I'll be relying on him for advice when it's needed. It's the same man who gave me his big car to use yesterday and showed me how to tie the lumber down securely with the ratchet tie. A top bloke.
You cannot put a value high enough on such a good person. He will work from his heart, you can pay a carpenter but I'd his heart isn't in it the job doesn't always work well.

I paid a fortune for my coop too be made plus a fortune getting it right. It was missing perches guttering and the run door is a killer too get open and shut.
A nice enough guy and lovely coop, if only he had bothered too listen too what was needed for my situation and the situation of the ground.

Back
Top Bottom