MJ's little flock

There is one very very important distinction being missed and that is whether the state is secular or not.
The Finns, Swedes, Danes and from the last figures I saw NZ are not a highly religious culture. They are more likely to vote on the issues rather than faith based lines.
In my first attempt to discover which of Norway, New Zealand and Finland (the top 3 on the democracy index) were more/less secular I found Norway ahead of Finland and found New Zealand doesn't collect meaningful data on it.

So I looked further and found NZ has always separated church from state (no surprises there) and lKiwis themselves are becoming less likely to identify as religious as time passes. The 2018 NZ census was the first time roughly the same number of Kiwis identified as not having a religion as having a religion, where religion is "Christianity + Others". So if you took Christianity on its own, more Kiwis don't have a religion. Same with Other. Of the people with a religion, Christianity is far more prevalent than Other.

So, from that I'm confident to say NZ is secular but I'm still not sure how it measures up against Norway or Finland.

Last edited:
We got Boris.:rolleyes:
I've paid him almost no attention, but the few times I geard him speak he came across as sort of bumbling. I'm sure that's not really the case or he'd never have been successful. I vaguely imagine him getting ahead of his colleagues through underhanded tactics.

I've paid him almost no attention, but the few times I geard him speak he came across as sort of bumbling. I'm sure that's not really the case or he'd never have been successful. I vaguely imagine him getting ahead of his colleagues through underhanded tactics.
Nope, that is the case. He's every bit the buffoon he comes across as. The Tories have an interesting habit of electing their leaders as potential fall guys. If it all goes wrong then their loss is unlikely to damage the party.
Bear in mind the electorate don't pick the party leaders. The parties do that.

Nope, that is the case. He's every bit the buffoon he comes across as. The Tories have an interesting habit of electing their leaders as potential fall guys. If it all goes wrong then their loss is unlikely to damage the party.
Bear in mind the electorate don't pick the party leaders. The parties do that.
Same here, except parties tend to select a leader they think the voters will approve of.

Back
Top Bottom