MJ's little flock

Isn't it gorgeous! It'll take me a while to work out which dishes I like the best, but so far it seems like a straightforward Italian menu. The family who run the restaurant live in the house attached to the back, so they're new neighbours too. We had a good chat about the elderly lady who lives over their back fence and who struggles with her health. I didn't want them to think her unkempt garden was evidence of laziness.
That is wonderful! New friends as well. What a great bonus!

Maybe. There are a lot of chickens on our street! At least 15 that I know of.

In other news, after dinner last night my head was injured. I live in a 1920s house and most of the ceiling lights hang from their cords and have glass light shades. One of them has ceiling-mounted switch operated by a pull cord that hangs beside the light.

I've turned that light on thousands of times.

Last night, it's glass shade fell down and hit the top of my head, which immediately started to bleed. Luckily the shade didn't break so I didn't get any glass in the wound, but I couldn't really see how bad it was because my phone's battery was flat and I couldn't easily take a photo of it. So I plugged the phone in to charge and once it was at 1%, I started it up and texted the neighbours to ask for help. They put antiseptic ointment and a dressing on it and gave me sweet things to consume for the shock. The bleeding stopped after about 15 minutes. We don't think I need stitches.

I'm tempted to take a sick day but I'm so far behind on work I really can't afford the time.
That's crazy! I'm glad that you are OK. Scary.

After 1 day of treatment Janet continues to sneeze and demonstrate discomfort in her head through shaking it and rubbing it on her shoulders. Her tail is upright in quiet moments. She's still breathing heavily.
You normally will see improvement from antibiotics on or after day 3. Before then it seems like nothing is happening. Be patient.

You know that you should cut back a butterfly bush every winter, right?
Yes I do. But it is a newcomer. It showed itself for the first time in the Fall as one small stem and I thought, hmmm - given I am trying to plant a chicken garden with nice hidey holes maybe this is a good thing to have shown up uninvited. So I left it alone. And here we are, it is a monster!

Yes I do. But it is a newcomer. It showed itself for the first time in the Fall as one small stem and I thought, hmmm - given I am trying to plant a chicken garden with nice hidey holes maybe this is a good thing to have shown up uninvited. So I left it alone. And here we are, it is a monster!
You've seen mine right? My white one is 10 feet tall right now because I did not cut it back last winter! They can get huge!

Last edited:
You've seen mine right? My white one is 10 feet tall right now beachhead I did not cut it back last winter! They can get huge!
I have seen the lower part of yours with chickens under it but I don't think I have seen the full thing. 10' is very big. I will cut it back this winter, but I like it to have some heft as it is part of the hawk deterrent plan.

I have seen the lower part of yours with chickens under it but I don't think I have seen the full thing. 10' is very big. I will cut it back this winter, but I like it to have some heft as it is part of the hawk deterrent plan.
Here it is. Remember the fence is 6 feet tall.

20220701_131051.jpg

If I cut it back in the winter like I should it tops out at 7 feet in the late summer. I really regret not trimming it.

Bush tax
20200808_182442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom