MJ's little flock

After 5 days of treatment, I was on the brink of giving Janet a glowing review of progress when she decided one big sneeze followed by one big head shake was needed. Apart from that, she's in top form: sassy, energetic, and confident.

One more day to go. Tomorrow night, they will be given plain water again.
Hi MJ. Either your thread has sped up or I haven’t been on in long than I realized. I need to go back and learn ehy you are treating them and see how their run is looking. 😊

Hi MJ. Either your thread has sped up or I haven’t been on in long than I realized. I need to go back and learn ehy you are treating them and see how their run is looking. 😊
Jan wasn't doing very well, so she had a course of lincospectin, which meant they all had a course. It was good for her, but it didn't resolve her sneezes. She's an interesting hen, more susceptible to respiratory problems than her friends are.

I'm beginning to see where the "treat the flock" rule breaks down.

That is wonderful! Slow draining water can be quite frustrating.

An interesting note, when I was at Pompeii I learned that they had lead piping to carry water to homes of the wealthy and places like the community bath. Why did they not suffer from lead poisoning you may ask? There was so much lime in the water that it quickly coated the lead preventing the lead from leaching into the water. We used this principal in modern times. Once we learned that lead in water was bad we started adding minerals to the water supply to coat lead pipes rather than dig them all up and replace them.

Lead pipe in Pompeii. Our guide has his finger on it.
View attachment 3176817
That's cool. Thanks so much for telling me about that!

If lead pipes last so long, and my old drain was so rusted out and full of sand, it must not have been made of lead after all.

Last edited:
Today was the last day of Janet's treatment. I've refilled the containers with plain water. It'll be good for the hens to restore their gut bacteria. I'm glad it was only a 6 day course.

After 6 days of treatment, her behaviour and attitude are very healthy and positive. From her posture, it seems she is no longer feeling any aches or pains. However she continues to sneeze intermittently.

I wonder if she's oversensitive or unwell or both or something else entirely. It's probably a good idea for me to report back to Mark on her sneezing because her checkup is not for another month or so. I'll give him a ring tomorrow.
I called the vet and had a lengthy and detailed chat + Q&A with Lauren the vet nurse who added notes to Janet's file.

Ivy tells me it's fashionable to wear one tail feather sideways this season

IMG_2022-07-05-17-21-18-697.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom