MJ's little flock

The compromise for the group ruins it. It feels a bit like high school too. We read the book together and discuss it together and it has to be so much by this date. No thanks.
It was in an informal bookclub that I met someone who hated Anne in Jane Austen's Persuasion. He saw her as pathetic. I see her as strong and resilient.

A breakfast shot. Janet's delicious eggs.

IMG_2022-08-14-08-16-30-183.jpg

The compromise for the group ruins it. It feels a bit like high school too. We read the book together and discuss it together and it has to be so much by this date. No thanks.
You all have me thinking because I did think I would enjoy a book club.
A friend of mine is a member of a men's book club (you can imagine the discussions about that!) and they take turns in choosing the books and I often recommend books for him to select. It all sounded quite fun.

It's because no ones knows what books we should read next like we do. It's a personal decision like what colour to wear that day. Books speak of and to someone's psychology.

The minute someone says, "I've got a book you must read, you'll love it!" I already know I probably won't like it.

If I meet someone who's read and loved the same books as me: instant friends for life!!
Pretty much. And the one I tried did popluar modern novels ~ which are mostly truly awful! :sick

Have you read Don Quixote?
Nope. Dostotevsky but not Tolstoy. I can't abide Dickens but I've read Beouwulf & The Green Knight. I have peculiar tastes despite a degree in literature. And for me that is the problem with book clubs. Finding anyone with similar taste is nearly impossible.

That may be the only way to handle Romeo & Juliet. Apparently there is a book or play out that takes on what would have happened if R&J hadn’t been such imbeciles!
:lau
That sounds like a scream About grade 10 R&J was the set Shakespeare for that year & we got taken to Zeffirelli's R&J & I'll never forget while all the girls around me were sobbing their eyes out I was trying to stiffle my giggles. I mean, seriously. All that teenage angst. All the melodrama. The only thing to do is laugh. It's not sane.

Back
Top Bottom