MJ's little flock

Mary has her follow up this morning, so I took her off the roost last night and put her in her basket.

This morning she was out of the basket! So I've had to corner her and pick her up. Not easy, but I managed it with quick, calm gentleness. She managed it with less scampering and fewer cries for help than I expected.

So now she's strapped in.

View attachment 3268522

I've been hatching plans to make a chicken transport box with leftover scraps of ply from the roost build. Imagine a suitcase shape slightly wider than a really big hen with a large side door that folds down and a sunk floor that can hold woodshavings, with a thick perch. Possibly with removable casters. Or with a custom fit dolly. Handle on the top and a handle each side. Space for fitting food and water for longer journeys.
Mary has her follow up this morning, so I took her off the roost last night and put her in her basket.

This morning she was out of the basket! So I've had to corner her and pick her up. Not easy, but I managed it with quick, calm gentleness. She managed it with less scampering and fewer cries for help than I expected.

So now she's strapped in.

View attachment 3268522

I've been hatching plans to make a chicken transport box with leftover scraps of ply from the roost build. Imagine a suitcase shape slightly wider than a really big hen with a large side door that folds down and a sunk floor that can hold woodshavings, with a thick perch. Possibly with removable casters. Or with a custom fit dolly. Handle on the top and a handle each side. Space for fitting food and water for longer journeys.
I use my cat carrier to transport chickens. It’s a perfect size.

I use my cat carrier to transport chickens. It’s a perfect size.
I have two cat carriers. For chickens, I prefer the one with an opening top as well as a door at one end.

Even so, Mary doesn't fit in a cat carrier. She's quite a large hen, up to my knee, and she's wide too. That's why she travels in the picnic hamper, which she has learnt to escape from.

All the hens dislike being handled, so I always carry them standing on my hand (or hands) at nighttime, off the roosting perch. Then I struggle to place the smaller hens into the open top cat carrier because it's rather squeezy with my arm/arms in the way lifting them down into it. And rather squeezy with my arm in the way carrying them through the end door.

So I'm thinking while the cat carrier is sufficient, it's not optimal. And I have lots of leftover ply to make a more sensible travel box with a larger than a chicken side opening, a perch, a dropped floor for shavings. Handles for carrying, or wheels for rolling. Ventilation holes.

Something like this.

IMG_2022-09-27-08-28-57-796~2.jpg

Mary's had another good day. But I'm worried about her because on Friday morning, Dr Mark said she had an egg ready to lay. She hasn't laid it yet. I guess he might've been mistaken.
Yesterday I said I was worried about her egg, today she's sitting patiently while it emerges
:thumbsup

I have two cat carriers. For chickens, I prefer the one with an opening top as well as a door at one end.

Even so, Mary doesn't fit in a cat carrier. She's quite a large hen, up to my knee, and she's wide too. That's why she travels in the picnic hamper, which she has learnt to escape from.

All the hens dislike being handled, so I always carry them standing on my hand (or hands) at nighttime, off the roosting perch. Then I struggle to place the smaller hens into the open top cat carrier because it's rather squeezy with my arm/arms in the way lifting them down into it. And rather squeezy with my arm in the way carrying them through the end door.

So I'm thinking while the cat carrier is sufficient, it's not optimal. And I have lots of leftover ply to make a more sensible travel box with a larger than a chicken side opening, a perch, a dropped floor for shavings. Handles for carrying, or wheels for rolling. Ventilation holes.

Something like this.

View attachment 3272754
I love the wheels!

You could fit wheels to a dog crate reasonably easily - but I am not sure that would help with the getting in and out issue.

Although cat carriers work well for me for the chickens, I have issues with them when transporting cats.

So I use a cat carrier like this - I think it might work for you.

1664239726740.png

Mine isn't that big and has leather straps - but it is basically the same thing. Easy to get your hand in the top and close the lid quickly before anyone gets ideas about wandering off. But everyone can hop out on their own when we get home.

I love the wheels!

You could fit wheels to a dog crate reasonably easily - but I am not sure that would help with the getting in and out issue.

Although cat carriers work well for me for the chickens, I have issues with them when transporting cats.

So I use a cat carrier like this - I think it might work for you.

View attachment 3272877

Mine isn't that big and has leather straps - but it is basically the same thing. Easy to get your hand in the top and close the lid quickly before anyone gets ideas about wandering off. But everyone can hop out on their own when we get home.
Thanks for showing that picture RC!!! What a handy basket. I'll start searching.

Thanks for showing that picture RC!!! What a handy basket. I'll start searching.
search for both wicker cat baskets and picnic hampers - I have a cat one from the UK (like the picture) but I have a smaller one from the US that is a picnic hamper - it doesn't have the windows but works just as well and for my more timid cats the lack of windows is quite good because it makes it more cave-like.

Something like this.

View attachment 3272754
Beautifully designed. Your chicken seems very aerodynamic! 😉

Back
Top Bottom