MJ's little flock

They've arrived and I don't think they're RIRs. They're too small and the wrong colour. I think they're little red hybrid laying hens of some description. Probably ISA Browns. Very tame and very sweet.

They're sleeping on a log I brought in to the laundry and there's water and food nearby. Tomorrow I'll get sawdust or straw to cover the concrete floor and give them something to lay eggs in.

If these two hens turn out to be OK with my existing gang I may keep them.

But they'll be living in the laundry for a few weeks and I'll just have to do the best I can with respect to quarantine.

I said to my Aunty, "I'm just putting this on the table: no more hens, ok?" but I'm happy to help these two little ones whose home is going to be flooded very soon.
Can you post pics of them?

Here are the refugees.

View attachment 3323594

View attachment 3323595

I showed them the food and water, then left them in peace to adjust at their own pace.

I'll make time to get some straw and a to set up a nest before I go to the office. Then they'll have the day to settle in before I start bothering them again late afternoon.
They are adorable! They do look like ISA Browns or something like that. :love :hugs

I generally quarantine for two weeks.
I'm not sure how I got the idea, but I was thinking three weeks was the usual. If only two weeks is necessary, that's a bonus to both the pullets who can go play outside sooner and to the refugees who can have better accommodations sooner.

Hi Michelle!

Thanks for popping in! What's the news with your flock?
Not much news. I’m down to eight birds now. I think you heard that I had to put Cashew down a bit ago. Most of them are still in some stage of molt, but it seems to be slowing down for most of them. California turned cold pretty quickly. The evenings are getting down into the high 30s (°F). Something’s scaring them, too. They don’t seem to want to come out. I’m not sure what’s visiting, but with American Thanksgiving coming up next week, I hope to take some time off and hang out with them a lot outside.

Here’s the most recent group picture I have.
Not a great photo, and it’s not all of them, but that little road is covered with California live oak trees, and they seem to feel safe with the dog sitting right there. The little cabin in the background is the property that sold right after we bought ours. I think they’re going to fix it up a little and get another renter in there. I hope they don’t allow dogs or else we’ll have to put up a fence right away.

Attachments

• 247EA618-8D83-46AC-AAC6-72163D422B81.jpeg
    247EA618-8D83-46AC-AAC6-72163D422B81.jpeg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 2
With all they've been through I think there is a good chance of it being from stress. I don't know what happened to them before they arrived to your place, but maybe they had a day or two without access to chicken feed ?
If you haven't yet, maybe give them access to oyster or egg shells when you can.

Back
Top Bottom