MJ's little flock

When I took Tegan to the vet on Friday, we decided on five days worth of meds to see if she responded . Tomorrow will be 4 1/2 days but I am working on Wednesday so planned to call it tomorrow.

This morning she was waiting at the gate to be let out, which is encouraging. She also ate some ham and cheese, which is pretty much all she is interested in, although hubby said she is still eating frozen peas and oats. She is standing around hunched, but I saw her having a bit of a preen this morning. Does this sound like progress?
Does to me, but physical inspection by the vet is the gold standard.

The pullets seem so much taller this morning.

IMG_2022-11-28-08-17-49-308~2.jpg

I caught Katie in a shoulder stretch.

IMG_2022-11-28-08-17-51-914.jpg

She says that's what she'd look like if she was an eagle zooming in on a mouse. But with both legs up, obviously.

When I took Tegan to the vet on Friday, we decided on five days worth of meds to see if she responded . Tomorrow will be 4 1/2 days but I am working on Wednesday so planned to call it tomorrow.

This morning she was waiting at the gate to be let out, which is encouraging. She also ate some ham and cheese, which is pretty much all she is interested in, although hubby said she is still eating frozen peas and oats. She is standing around hunched, but I saw her having a bit of a preen this morning. Does this sound like progress?
I'd feel more confident if she was eating regular food. I suppose she might be when you're not looking.

Here's a list of the pullets achievements in the funrun today.
  • Drinks
  • Snacks, both proper food and foraged
  • Jacaranda tree experimentation
  • Sunbathing
  • Snoozing in the shade
  • Suddenly becoming very frightened for no discernible reason
  • Chats
  • Scratching
  • Jogging
  • Sprinting while flapping
  • Avoiding photo opps
  • Flying over the log pile.
  • Hopping up on things.
Well done, pullets!!!

I wonder if the temporary fence is a mistake. Mary can probably protect chicks from Peggy. But Peggy has been known to attack Mary quite viciously.
You’d be surprised what a Momma hen can do. When Cashew was broody, she had lost a lot of weight and was pretty weak from sitting for weeks. She was pretty small as a buffer Orpington to begin with. Buttercup is my light Brahma, and the biggest in the flock by far. When buttercup act toward a chick, Kashi defending the check ferociously. She went after butter cup, and the two of them were jumping up and down chest bumping over and over again. I was quite worried since cashew was so weak and buttercup is so big. But Cashew won; she pretty much beat the crap out of Buttercup.

So, MJ, you really have a lot going on! If I understand correctly, you have the river chickens in the laundry, three pullets in some other indoor space, and fertile eggs underneath Mary?
That is correct. And the other three hens. And Blossom the cat.

Plus the two day trip to Sydney (leaving in 4 hours) and the drilling guy who's unexpectedly taking soil samples right now which were ordered by the engineer who was contracted by the builder.

I don't mind because it's progress on the front verandah rebuild, but the timing.

And of course, work commitments that don't abate because I've got two days of meetings in Sydney.

With everything going on, it's no wonder my "note" on chicken and cat minding extended to three pages.

:gig

Nearly forgot! I'm having a birthday this week. We're going to celebrate it next week.

Back
Top Bottom