MJ's little flock

I shouldn't have favourites but this kid.

IMG_2022-12-06-07-25-54-259~2.jpg

I think that is the secret! The river chickens are just so confident and cheerful they've tricked the hens into accepting them without question.

On the other hand, the pullets hide from everyone.
The pullets have it right.;)
The allotment crew are much the same, not much in the way of fear response. Nice for the keeper but not the best attitude for survival.

The pullets have it right.;)
The allotment crew are much the same, not much in the way of fear response. Nice for the keeper but not the best attitude for survival.
I've been worried about how gormless the river chickens are. They wander around completely out in the open! No rush. Just strolling across the yard and pausing now and then to gaze around or look at their toenails.

The hens and pullets stay within a short sprint of cover or under cover at all times.

The sooner I can get the river chickens merged with the main gang and in the funrun each day, the less I'll worry about them.

I've been worried about how gormless the river chickens are. They wander around completely out in the open! No rush. Just strolling across the yard and pausing now and then to gaze around or look at their toenails.

The hens and pullets stay within a short sprint of cover or under cover at all times.

The sooner I can get the river chickens merged with the main gang and in the funrun each day, the less I'll worry about them.
I have seen many references to how these red sex-linked chickens (ISA Brown and similar) are very friendly outgoing little souls. I think @Shadrach has observed that at the allotment, it is my experience with Elizabeth and Diana and now the river (laundry) chickens too.
If it is any consolation, I find Diana is now quite predator savvy. She scans the sky, she issues warnings and she stays close to cover most of the time. I don't know when/how she learned all that but she is definitely not gormless.

I think there is hope for the laundry (river) chickens once they are out and about.

They should learn from the others. Chickens are pretty good at that. It's not just a case of monkey see monkey do.
The allotment crew are learning. They are still not anything like as quick to respond to Henry's warning call and seem to trust Matilda's reactions.
The Legbars are gone when Henry warns.

I have seen many references to how these red sex-linked chickens (ISA Brown and similar) are very friendly outgoing little souls. I think @Shadrach has observed that at the allotment, it is my experience with Elizabeth and Diana and now the river (laundry) chickens too.
If it is any consolation, I find Diana is now quite predator savvy. She scans the sky, she issues warnings and she stays close to cover most of the time. I don't know when/how she learned all that but she is definitely not gormless.

I think there is hope for the laundry (river) chickens once they are out and about.

They should learn from the others. Chickens are pretty good at that. It's not just a case of monkey see monkey do.
The allotment crew are learning. They are still not anything like as quick to respond to Henry's warning call and seem to trust Matilda's reactions.
The Legbars are gone when Henry warns.
That's very reassuring.

I look forward to them gradually becoming a little more aware of their surroundings and a little more cautious with respect to their own survival.

I shouldn't have favourites but this kid.

View attachment 3341697
She's also mine for her looks. Between her name Lorna and her long hair she makes me think of the Lorelei's poem / legend!

I think you mentioned they come from a family with kids. They may have been raised as house chickens, or very familiar pets.

She's also mine for her looks. Between her name Lorna and her long hair she makes me think of the Lorelei's poem / legend!

I think you mentioned they come from a family with kids. They may have been raised as house chickens, or very familiar pets.
They were raised as pets, but not with children. It might explain their behaviour. Maybe they've been kept in safe environments until now?

Here are three wonderful hens dust bathing together.

IMG_2022-12-06-17-42-07-247.jpg

While this old darling has a special treat of chopped up leftovers (steak and greens).

IMG_2022-12-06-17-46-38-166.jpg

I think she is very striking looking too. Funny, I have Lorelei on my list of possible chicken names, but the name Lorna made me think of the novel Lorna Doone.

Back
Top Bottom