MJ's little flock

I've woken up with a new plan.

The river chickens will be in extended LBDT mode until Christa shows me she can be reliable. LBDT means foraging all day but with access to the laundry for laying eggs and proper food, and there are water jugs all over the place.

The pullets are fast, so they can share LBDT territory with the river chickens.

Mary can stay in the big coop on her own until she says she's ready for the funrun. Today is another "no thank you MJ, I'll stay here where I'm safe" day.

Once Mary's settled back into the funrun lifestyle, which should be within a week, the pullets can start roosting with the hens. And, if I can catch or coerce them, visiting with the hens in the funrun.

No harm in forming another plan :confused: whether it will be actioned is another matter!
Is this change driven by the need to protect Mary?

Is this change driven by the need to protect Mary?
And anyone else Christa wants to jump on.

And I read that long LBDT periods (eg weeks) are more likely to construct peaceful integration.

I say those things and yet an hour ago, all four of the hens were wanting out of the coop/run and I instinctively let them out without giving a second thought to the presence of the river chickens :rolleyes:

Well. Now I'm convinced Christa is the main pecking culprit. A minute ago, I had to intervene to get her off Janet's back and she came back at her four times! Janet. Who's been pecked by noone except gentle Mary this whole time. Janet, Peggy's boss.

I was shocked at how quick and aggressive Christa is.

Poor Jan squatted immediately yet still Christa grabbed her violently, over and over.
This is not going well. 😕

They seem to be doing well. I’ve put a tub of dirt in for them and they’re scratching around and dirt-bathing in it. It’s not the fine, sandy stuff but they’re using it nonetheless.

You may or may not remember that the original quarantine tractor had a catastrophic failure. I removed the bedroom and fixed it so it’s an open outdoor cage. When we’ve been home, I’ve been butting it up against the open door of the prefab, so they’ve got some extra space to roam. I’ll take a photo on the weekend of the setup.

I’m feeling cautiously optimistic; when I dosed Nyssa tonight, I could hear she wasn’t wheezing. She sneezed a few times but I’m wondering if that’s because I’m shoving stuff down her throat. I’m really hoping I discovered the source of the wheezing and eliminated it. :fl
That is exciting news. Good detective work on your part.

Did someone say detective!

20211104220901.jpg

I've woken up with a new plan.

The river chickens will be in extended LBDT mode until Christa shows me she can be reliable. LBDT means foraging all day but with access to the laundry for laying eggs and proper food, and there are water jugs all over the place.

The pullets are fast, so they can share LBDT territory with the river chickens.

Mary can stay in the big coop on her own until she says she's ready for the funrun. Today is another "no thank you MJ, I'll stay here where I'm safe" day.

Once Mary's settled back into the funrun lifestyle, which should be within a week, the pullets can start roosting with the hens. And, if I can catch or coerce them, visiting with the hens in the funrun.

No harm in forming another plan :confused: whether it will be actioned is another matter!
I like the idea of a second plan.

I say those things and yet an hour ago, all four of the hens were wanting out of the coop/run and I instinctively let them out without giving a second thought to the presence of the river chickens :rolleyes:
Update: hens and pullets are foraging; river chickens are in the funrun.

Back
Top Bottom