MJ's little flock

@RoyalChick I've just received photos of the cat basket. It won't arrive until January because it's the cheapest shipping from Scotland. I assume it's shipped in an actual ship.

View attachment 3344570

View attachment 3344569

I asked if he's ever made baskets for chickens. It would have to be much deeper with the opening on the side, a dropped floor to contain shavings, and a perch.

But perhaps this top-opening cat basket will work well for chooks.
That looks fantastic! I love how they did the grille at the end!
Do you think a chicken one would need a perch? When I have taken mine to the vet I have been happy that they were on a thick nest of shavings because I would worry that a sudden change in direction might knock them off a perch!

That looks fantastic! I love how they did the grille at the end!
Do you think a chicken one would need a perch? When I have taken mine to the vet I have been happy that they were on a thick nest of shavings because I would worry that a sudden change in direction might knock them off a perch!
I'm birds feel more confident holding onto a perch than sitting down. But maybe thinking is way off target.

Nyssa and Snowy have decided they don’t like the 17 anymore and won’t eat it. There’s a layer mix you can get in Woolies and they’ll pick out the bit of that they like and leave the rest. :rolleyes: What do you recommend they eat?
Well, Mark said to feed Barastoc Champion Layer because it's the highest protein pellet we could find in Adelaide, but even so it's only 16.5%. What's the highest protein pellet in Melbourne?

No. It would convert it to a low-pressure water system and the water would simply run out of the first missing nozzle.

Bob, what I can't understand is why there would be harmful bacteria in the drinking water supply, from the water mains. These things are tightly regulated in Australia so that our drinking water is as good for us as possible.
Misting and humidifying systems are notorious for harboring nasty stuff - even chlorinated mains water has some bacteria and then it is exposed to air etc. The issue is that misting and watering systems are constantly damp so they are an ideal environment for bacteria (and fungi) to grow and multiply.
The inhibiting impact of the brass may not be enough.
Vinegar does corrode brass but it takes a lot and a long time - vinegar is even used as a brass cleaner as long as it isn't too concentrated. So you might be OK with a dilute vinegar flush followed by a rinse. I have less experience with very dilute bleach - I know concentrated bleach does a job on metal very rapidly.
I wonder if alcohol is the answer - like rubbing alcohol.

I'm birds feel more confident holding onto a perch than sitting down. But maybe thinking is way off target.
Yeah - I don't know - car movement might be like a branch blowing in the wind so they would be fine with it.
I remember being struck when I took Maggie to the vet a few years ago that she settled down very comfortably in her bed of shavings and had a lovely time looking out. I thought it would be a huge stressor and in fact I think she considered it a fun outing!

Well, Mark said to feed Barastoc Champion Layer because it's the highest protein pellet we could find in Adelaide, but even so it's only 16.5%. What's the highest protein pellet in Melbourne?
I don’t know about Melbourne, but could look around and see what we’ve got here. :) I’m thinking they may not eat pellets; there are some little ones in the Woolies mix and they ignore those.

I don’t know about Melbourne, but could look around and see what we’ve got here. :) I’m thinking they may not eat pellets; there are some little ones in the Woolies mix and they ignore those.
Why do I keep thinking you're in Melbourne! Sorry mate, I should know things like that :(

Yeah - I don't know - car movement might be like a branch blowing in the wind so they would be fine with it.
I remember being struck when I took Maggie to the vet a few years ago that she settled down very comfortably in her bed of shavings and had a lovely time looking out. I thought it would be a huge stressor and in fact I think she considered it a fun outing!
I agree, the hens seem to enjoy being in the car.

Why do I keep thinking you're in Melbourne! Sorry mate, I should know things like that :(
That’s ok. :hugs I’m just worried about food now. And Snowy did this yucky splatty poo when I woke her this evening. I know there’s a spectrum of normal poo but I don’t want to have to start worrying about her too!

Back
Top Bottom