MJ's little flock

Edie has grown a very fancy tail feather, with a black and white tip!

IMG_2022-12-10-07-57-40-392.jpg

Wow - that is a fancy feather! Love it.
I hope it's not evidence that she's a cockerel.

Although I have to say her behaviour is very hen-like.

This week, the pullets have spent most afternoons foraging and gambolling about. They stay out late and sleep in. Last night they didn't roost until it was twilight. All six hens had turned in long before. Now it's Saturday morning, and they're too sleepy.

Last edited:
I hope it's not evidence that she's a cockerel.

Although I have to say her behaviour is very hen-like.

This week, the pullets have spent most afternoons foraging and gambolling about. They stay out late and sleep in. Last night they didn't roost until it was twilight. All six hens had turned in long before. Now it's Saturday morning, and they're too sleepy.
Typical teenagers!

That’s ok. :hugs I’m just worried about food now. And Snowy did this yucky splatty poo when I woke her this evening. I know there’s a spectrum of normal poo but I don’t want to have to start worrying about her too!
Thinking about poo and food and questioning whether both are OK is good, right? But stressing about it is not good.

It took 3-4 days before the hens were hungry enough to switch over to their new pellets after being spoiled with 17.

That said, they were foraging daily and enjoying their pellets as an evening mash. If they weren't foraging or having evening mash, I'm sure they'd have eaten it sooner.

No. It would convert it to a low-pressure water system and the water would simply run out of the first missing nozzle.

Bob, what I can't understand is why there would be harmful bacteria in the drinking water supply, from the water mains. These things are tightly regulated in Australia so that our drinking water is as good for us as possible.
What could happen is that water left in the pipe could develop bacteria or more likely mold could grow. The thing is I'm not certain it's all that likely. I know you thought that Janet was getting ill after using the mister. That's why I was suggesting that you bleach it. In reality, it is pretty unlikely for mold to grow like that in a hot dry climate like yours. Rather, I would expect the water left in the mister to evaporate quickly.

The key is, anywhere that water is permitted to sit, mold can grow. Mold spores are everywhere. All they need is a dank dark place to start growing.

Yeah - I don't know - car movement might be like a branch blowing in the wind so they would be fine with it.
I remember being struck when I took Maggie to the vet a few years ago that she settled down very comfortably in her bed of shavings and had a lovely time looking out. I thought it would be a huge stressor and in fact I think she considered it a fun outing!
If I remember right, Lilly like to roost when traveling to the vet and Hattie liked to lay in the straw. Lilly loved to ride in my lap so she could look out the window. I could only do that if Mrs BY Bob drove us.

Back
Top Bottom