MJ's little flock

853g at breakfast time.

I'm still struggling to squash my empathy. Crop feeding is one of those 'cruel to be kind' things :(
:hugs :hugs :hugs

I pray all of this is worthwhile. No matter what I agree that you must give her a chance. You are doing good. Try to remember that it is not always easy to do good.

Big hugs. :hugs I feel the same dosing Nyssa.

I’ve got mites! :barnie And I can’t do anything about it for a couple of days. When I can I will pull everything out, spray everything and then rinse it all out and let dry. Plus Nyssa is covered in pin feathers, no wonder she’s uncomfortable! At least new feathers are growing in.
While sad, the good news is this is a treatable situation which you know how to correct. It's better than guessing what is wrong.

In happier news, Lorna was 886g at her late morning weighing.
It seems to be working! Will you stop tonight (meaning the 27), or go on for another day or two, either with the four feedings or a bit less ?

It's very hot where you are. I know your chickens must be more used to it ; mine would be really unwell at these temps.

The red light is very helpful with poultry. It's also great when you need to get up in the middle of the night without waking up others, or even when you're alone and don't want to get a full light in your eyes. It's not a strong light though so you need to wait a few seconds for your eyes to get used to it.

It seems to be working! Will you stop tonight (meaning the 27), or go on for another day or two, either with the four feedings or a bit less ?

It's very hot where you are. I know your chickens must be more used to it ; mine would be really unwell at these temps.

The red light is very helpful with poultry. It's also great when you need to get up in the middle of the night without waking up others, or even when you're alone and don't want to get a full light in your eyes. It's not a strong light though so you need to wait a few seconds for your eyes to get used to it.
The hens are suffering today, but they've kept to the shade and I think the trickling garden hose has been beneficial. I also gave them some iced water, which Ivy and Christa enjoyed. The others were unimpressed.

The pullets are in their sleepout, which gets some cool air from the air-conditioning, so they're doing quite well.

Lorna was down to 853g again late afternoon. She still has her evening feed to go. I may call the vet and see what's recommended. I may step her down to 3 meals a day and see how she fares.

While her weight is up and down like a yoyo, it hasn't been below 820g since Christmas day. So that's an improvement.

Here's a photo of Mary and Ivy I took through the kitchen window. They're standing in a puddle and neither are panting. So their cool feet must be doing them some good.

IMG_2022-12-27-17-15-12-242.jpg

Back
Top Bottom