MJ's little flock

The two youngsters are still choosing the sleepout. I'm ok with that. It's a lot healthier now I've removed all the bedding. They spend maybe an hour a day on the concrete floor and the rest of the long summer day outside.

IMG_2023-02-06-20-31-55-394.jpg

Today my brother placed pavers around the perimeter of the funrun, which makes it safer for the red marauders.

There are still a few tasks before the new roost is ready for its hens, but it's getting there gradually.

She really does provide you breakfast - ready cooked. How thoughtful!
I wonder where today's will be?

The sadder side of being a young hen rather than a pullet, is that the red marauders now consider her fair game. Ten minutes ago, Crista was on her back and not getting off, then she saw me and got off, Edie ran for it slowly because she was sore (presumably from being sat on), christa casually jogged after her to grab her again. By that time I was almost incandescent with rage, and joined in until I got a good peck on christa mid-chase (ie i got her on the side with my fingertips) and that got her attention and a she went off to do some other crime. I hope my car's still there when I head off for work :gig

I wonder where today's will be?

The sadder side of being a young hen rather than a pullet, is that the red marauders now consider her fair game. Ten minutes ago, Crista was on her back and not getting off, then she saw me and got off, Edie ran for it slowly because she was sore (presumably from being sat on), christa casually jogged after her to grab her again. By that time I was almost incandescent with rage, and joined in until I got a good peck on christa mid-chase (ie i got her on the side with my fingertips) and that got her attention and a she went off to do some other crime. I hope my car's still there when I head off for work :gig
They are turning into quite a handful those red marauders!

They are turning into quite a handful those red marauders!
I'm hoping something clicks for them once they're all sleeping in the new roost together.

If not, it'll be rehoming time. They're easy to handle and great with people, but utterly awful to other hens.

Back
Top Bottom